Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunnyjay70 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2012, 02:57 PM
    Unable to turn on AC or HEAT or just the FAN from the Thermostat.
    Hi... I am am not able to get my Thermostat to start the AC, or HEAT or just the FAN.

I was using a lawn trimmer to clean up over grown grasses near the AC unit outside the house, and I might have stripped of a thin wire that comes out of the house and goes in the AC unit outside. This thin wire is totally stripped on couple of spots and badly eroded at few spots too. This has two thin wires, and the uninsulated wires were in contact with each other. I think that wire is known as the 24V control wire... but not too sure. I will upload the photo. The orange cable that u see in the photo is the TV cable wire. That will give u an idea how thin is this wire that looks damaged

Also I noticed that the furnace circuit breaker On the main circuit breaker panel was turned off. I did turn it on, and tried to start the AC from the thermostat. The thermostat was flashing "cool on" but the AC was not kicking in. I then tried to turn on the HEAT and just the FAN but none of them came on. I then went outside and nicely separated the stripped off UN-insulated wires and tried again, but still nothing happened.

The "Cool On " is no longer flashing on the thermostat, but it is still not able to turn on the AC or anything else.

Please advice

Thanks and with regards
    SJ
    Attached Images

Check out some similar questions!

Instlld program thermostat, wrked fine heat all winter, now no heat, a/c or fan? [ 4 Answers ]

We got a Lux Programmable TX9000a. It installed it in November and heat worked fine all winter. Today I tried to turn on A/C and it didn't work (it is 90 where we live). I tried looking at wiring and perhaps a mis-wired. I am not sure. I have 5 wires and I have two units outside (heat pump and...

Thermostat problems - heat does not turn off [ 2 Answers ]

I have a summer home in NJ. My wife and I had not been to the home for one month. The heating themostat was set at 60 degrees. When we arrived this weekend, the temperature in the home was over 100 degrees. The thermostat was absolutley blank and the heat was running. I changed the batteries...

Heat doesn't turn on when thermostat is turned up [ 2 Answers ]

My heating system is steam and when I turn up the thermostat nothing happens

Changed thermostat ac/heat fan will not turn off [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 10-12 year Electric Goodman ac/heat unit. Just recently The fan runs constantly. Even in off position. I have replaced the thermostat. I have swithched the thermostat from auto to on several times. I have switched the power source box to off and on several times. Is there something else I...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.