Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

May 9, 2012, 09:37 AM
    Employment Dilemma
    I've been working as a temp for a little over a month and have an interview to fill the position permanently (along with other candidates) on Friday. I also had a couple interviews for a local Candy Distribution Co. and last Friday they offered me the position.

Here is the dilemma:
    The owner of the Candy Company offered me the position last week, but he is out of town this week and has not given me any details on how much the position pays, if it has benefits or the work hours, but I meet with him on Monday to discuss that. However, it is a 30+ miles each way commute, and I worry that if they don't offer me enough (its a small family owned company) I will have to decline the position due to not being able to pay bills and afford the gas to drive there.

The other position pays enough, and is for a Housing Authority, so you know there is job security there, but if another candidate is chosen then I won't have this job either.

I'd really like a couple of perspectives, I'm really anxious about this.

Thanks in advance!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2012, 10:05 AM
    You can not make a choice, till you talk to the first company and get all the details, there is not really in my opinion a firm offer in place, until they tell you the pay and benefits and start date.

So you will have to call and ask the details of the job, or call and tell them when the owner gets back to have him call and explain the details.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 9, 2012, 10:10 AM
    I would try like crazy to get a hold of the candy company owner. In this day of all our fancy electronic devices, there must be a way! Does he have managers? A wife? Family members? At the company.
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

May 9, 2012, 10:19 AM
    The owner is out of town on Business until this Friday, We have set up a meeting for Monday afternoon. I guess I'm just worried I'm going to hurt someone's feelings if I have to decline or I'll be screwed out of a job. Lol
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2012, 10:57 AM
    First this is business, not the church pot luck dinner. You don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings, you do worry about acting properly and professionally in all you do.

You are in a hard place, and most people would accept the first job offered , if the pay and benefits are enough, if they have no other firm job. Since sitting unemployed at home in two weeks is not good for anyone.

But they may also, if offered the second job, after accepting the first one, may take the second job and tell the first, they will not be able to do it.

The only negative I see is that the current position is going to interview others, not just making yours a temp to hire.
    jmdavison Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2012, 06:37 AM
    Which job do you want? I realize that money is a prime consideration, but a company who offers you a job without details, and wants you to wait a week in this job market? I'd be a little suspect. (a bird in the hand)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Employment Restrictions on Employment Authorization Card [ 0 Answers ]

I am in the process AOS (I485) under Eb3 from India. My Priority date is Dec 2002. I have been working on a Federal Project as a contractor on my EAD. 2 days ago, they let me go for the reason that the project became high risk, and only US citizens and GC holders are only allowed. I am planning to...

Why would I need to pay self employment tax on employment settlement [ 1 Answers ]

My original question was regarding 1099 misc I can't find any informaiton regarding the rational of paying self employment tax on settlement when I was an employee of this company I found this documentation on a site regarding self employment. Also how can I determine what the award is replacing. ...

Employment Law regarding employment applications [ 2 Answers ]

I know that employers can ask on their applications if you have ever been convicted of a felony, but I ran into one the other day that asked "Have you ever been convicted of a felony in the last 7 years?" Just wondering why the 7 years.

Here's my dilemma? [ 1 Answers ]

G'day Everyone, I'm a 38 year old Aussie male,not the best looking rooster in the hen house. Quick description about 5'8" over weight balding and not that good at talking to the chicks,but give me a gut full of booze and I'm Bond,James Bond with the ladies. Anyway here's my dilemma when I go...

View more questions Search