Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meggy1021 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2012, 05:53 AM
    Florida birth certificate law
    I have read in FL, in order to put the fathers name on the birth certificate he HAS to sign it.. What happens if I am living in FL, but the father of my child (who I want to collect child support from, and we are no longer together) lives in NH and is not there to sign it?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 9, 2012, 02:46 PM
    There are many ways it can be done.
    CaputoNL Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2012, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    There are many ways it can be done.
    Oh really... many ways... yet you list not one of them. Not very helpful.

You have to mail him the birth certificate, he has to go to a notary republic and sign it and have it notarized. But if you are just doing this for the purpose of collecting child support you just need to prove paternity, if he will not sign the birth certificate... I'm assuming if you can't get him to pay CS on his own then he isn't going to sign it then you can have the court mandate he take a DNA test (this is not cheap and will be at your cost initially, petition in the child support case for him to pay all fees incurred to you, FILING fees too and the courts WILL tack it all on to his tab.) Florida is a "mother" state, you have a lot of rights to you as a mother you wouldn't in a lot of other states. My daughter and her mother live in Naples, I live in California so I have done some research on this topic myself, hope this helps.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 13, 2012, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by meggy1021 View Post
    I have read in FL, in order to put the fathers name on the birth certificate he HAS to sign it.. What happens if i am living in FL, but the father of my child (who i want to collect child support from, and we are no longer together) lives in NH and is not there to sign it?
    The father doesn't sign the birth certificate. He signs what's normally called an "affidavit of paternity", on the basis of which the office of Vital Statistics enters the birth information in their database. Then, when one of the parents, or the child when he or she is older, wants a Birth Certificate, that person can request one.

The father can sign the affidavit of paternity in New Hampshire, or wherever else in the U.S. he can find a notary public or other officer authorized to administer oaths.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 13, 2012, 08:50 AM
    The hospital at the time of birth can provide you with the needed forms.

But most men will wish this to go though court and get a DNA test to be proven the father, not merely sign, esp if they are not living with the mother.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I find out about Florida Birth certificate laws? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is pregnant and her ex b/f does not want anything to do with this pregnancy, wanted her to have an abortion. She was wondering if when she delivers, can she put someone else's name on the birth certificate as the father's name instead of the father. There is someone that she has been...

In Florida if a man has not put his name on the birth certificate can another man [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my wife recently got married and the father of her 3 year old hasn't been around and we have tried to make contact with him about seeing his child but never came around.. can I adopt the baby girl because she doesn't carry his last name?

Birth Certificate Laws in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

Hey! Does anyone know if you can put the baby's father's name on the child's birth certificate if he is not there and doesn't sign?

Birth Certificate Law in Florida [ 3 Answers ]

I have friend who claims he is not the father of his ex-girlfriends baby, she claims he is. Can she legally put his name on the birth certificate if he does not consent and is not present at the birth?

View more questions Search