Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    employee83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Curious Interneter
    On the job when co worker had me investigated by corporate security for using company property. I have a small business made copies and surfed web.

Co worker sits next to me, sells cake on company time, is a constant complainer, downs company moral.
    She provides workplace harassment as I sit next to her listening to her negativity. The office accepts her behavior and laughs at it.

In Georgia it is an at will state; I understand company policy of the internet. Will this be grounds for termination??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 24, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Remember they don't need grounds, they can just fire someone and not have to give a reason if they don't mind paying unemployment,

When they fire for a reason or misconduct, it change the ability or waiting time to collect unemployment.

If you are using the company computer for personal use. And esp if you are using a company computer for other business purporse. *** AND there is a company policy about using the company computer and/or the internet, then they can.

In our company the fastest way to get fired is to be found using a company computer for personal reasons. The IT dept blocks all games, restricts certain downloads and can track all inhouse computers. And all outside computers are subject to being checked at anytime.

A person who complains is not harassment, they are just a negative person. If the company does not have a policy on sells of items to other employees, i.e. girl scout cookies, school items or "cakes" then she is not violating any company rules.

And you will find a company will take internet and computer issues much more seriously.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Fr. Chuck is right when he says that, in an at-will state, the employer can just fire you. North Dakota is the same. You ask about being terminated for going against company policy for using the internet for personal use - yes you can. You also used the company copier to make personal copies for your small business. No doubt you used the company copy paper too?

About the woman who complains all the time - sooner or later management will get tired of her. That person is not your problem or issue. You cannot use her behavior as a tool to keep your job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Curious? [ 4 Answers ]

Im confused, I have been married to my husband for 5 years we have been together 6 years, when I met him at 17, I told him I felt attracted to women, but he just laughed it off, I do feel something towards women, and I do find them attractive, I have never done "anything" with a woman, but I get...

Very curious [ 2 Answers ]

My ex and I were dating for two years and after the first year he started law school. So he was working full time and going to school at night. The first year of school for him was pretty hard and he felt a lot of stress and with our relationship it added more stress because he was going into a...

Curious [ 2 Answers ]

Just curious. I know that they say you can't feel the baby move until about your 4th month, but I could swear there are times I feel slight movements, that feel different then gas. With my son, I didn't feel him till 4 months, but I have heard that in subsequent pregnancies, you feel movement...

Curious [ 12 Answers ]

I was just wondering, but my friend told me that a period doesn't last very long when you are using tampons and it lasts longer when you are using pads.. is this true?

Just curious... [ 1 Answers ]

Aloha! I'm new to this site and posted a reply earlier... But I guess it will be easier to post here... My name is Jeannie BD: 11/4/74, my husband Jeff BD: 11/5/75, and my daughter Noel BD: 2/3/99. I am just curious about what is generally ahead for us in the next year. I read Tarot and am...

View more questions Search