Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RedPatti Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 05:36 AM
    Water Meter Dial & Possible Leak
    The dial on my water meter that detects water flow (I think this is how one detects a leak) normally moves in a counter clockwise direction when water is flowing from a sink etc. When water was not flowing, the dial would stop then creep slowly still in a counter clockwise direction. I suspected a leak and then went through the house turning off the water to the toilets one by one. Found one of them that stopped the dial from moving and left it off overnight. By morning the tank was empty which to me indicated a leaky toilet. I replaced the flapper and all seemed OK once the toilet was turned back on. No dial movement. About a day later I noticed the dial moving again slowly - this time in a clockwise direction. I turn off the same toilet and it stops.

I am totally confused. Can anyone offer some advice?
    Much thanks in advance.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2007, 10:28 AM
    [gonna tell a story]
    About 20 years ago I was working with an electrician that had a similar problem. He changed the flapper, it did not work. He changed the flush valve, it didn't work. He changed the tank to bowl bolts and gasket, it didn't work. He even changed the fill valve, it didn't work either. He asked me if I could fix his toilet. I said, 'yes, in about 2 minutes'. He was befuddled. He had even epoxyed the tank to the bowl. I made arrangement to go over and look, and it was just as I expected. The fill tube was pushed way down into the overflow tube and it was syphoning the water out of the tank into the overflow tube. I simply pulled the fill tube out, clipped it, and reinstalled it above the water level in the tank.
    He was astonished, but it worked.
    Check other things too, but don't forget the tube.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Faulty water meter [ 3 Answers ]

I work for a rural water office. We have a customer that had a meter reading of exactly 1,077,200 gallons usage. The 77,200 usage is not abnormal for his account. We have always been told that meters only register readings when water is forced through them. And they slow down as they get...

Faulty Water Meter? [ 12 Answers ]

I own a Condominium rentals unit that is occupied by a lady and her two kids. About 4 months ago the HOA installed individual water meters for each unit. The water bill for the complex is allocated by the water consumption of each unit. My bills have been running about $70/month compared to my home...

Sparks at the Water Meter [ 14 Answers ]

We had some plumbing work done today, which required the plumber to disconnect the water meter. As the plumber was re-connecting the meter, he noticed some sparking between the house-side pipe connection and the meter. What could cause this? Is it dangerous or will it cause problems such as pipe...

2 200 amp disconnects and a 200 amp meter [ 3 Answers ]

On a new house I have 2 200 amp panels on the inside. What will be the best way to hookup the 2 200 amp outside disconnects and meter to look decent for the house?:o

Sparks at the water meter [ 6 Answers ]

The previous (pretty old) thread on this subject didn't really answer the question, so: I just disconnected a ground wire that runs between my main breaker box and the cold water (copper) line. The disconnect was at the water line, and significant sparks fly every time I touch the ground wire...

View more questions Search