Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pininas Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2012, 08:09 PM
    401 k rollover
    My ex-employer automatically rolled over my 403b into a rollover IRA after I was terminated. Is this an OK thing?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 7, 2012, 05:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pininas View Post
    My ex-employer automatically rolled over my 403b into a rollover IRA after I was terminated. Is this an ok thing?
    Yes, it's OK. Most plans require that if an employee leaves and the value of their 403(b) or 401(k) is less than a certain amount (typically $5K) the amount will be distributed. This is to keep their administrative costs down, so they don't have to manage a lot of tiny accounts for years and years. However they should have given you some time to roll the account to an IRA of your chosing. I suggest that you carefully review what this new IRA has to offer, and make sure you're comfortable with the investement choices and fees. You have the option of rolling the funds from this new IRA to another IRA if you want, so do some comparison shopping.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRA Rollover [ 1 Answers ]

I want to rollover my ira plan that's under my former employer's plan but my former employer says that their contibutions made to my ira account won't be contributed until the end of this year, and that I can do one rollover now, and then do a second rollover later this year of their contributions....

Rollover recommendations [ 3 Answers ]

My wife just handed me a notice that her employer is terminating its pension plan. We will roll it over into an IRA, but I'm not sure with who. Its only about $10K. I'm leaning towards Fidelity but would like some feedback from anyone who has used them or other suggestions. I also have over...

If employee dies before paying back 401 k can spouse repay 401 k [ 3 Answers ]

My husband took a loan from his 401K a month or two before he died. The repayment was scheduled through his payroll deductions. Is it advisable for me to repay the loan in full OR can I make monthly payments to the loan as he had been doing OR just continue with the 401K minus what was borrowed?

401(k) rollover [ 3 Answers ]

If I am over 70 1/2 years old and still working, can I rollover my 401(k) to an IRA ?

401k rollover [ 1 Answers ]

Can I roll over my 401k to an ira if I;m still employed with the same company?

View more questions Search