Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pravw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2012, 08:03 PM
    FICA taxes not withheld. Will changing jobs be a problem?
    Hello, I recently realized that my company did not withhold my FICA taxes for the past 4 years. We are yet to have an agreement on how we will handle the reimbursement. I am hoping for them to come up with a reasonable plan that won't be as burdensome on me.

While I do want to get this tax situation taken care off, I have a few other job opportunities too that would pay me much more. However, I haven't decided if I would take any of those up yet. Would it be a problem if I quit my current job to take a new job?

Is there anything I should be careful about when I have negotiations about this tax issue with my company?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 7, 2012, 06:58 AM
    You have the moral and ethical requirement to pay these back taxes. However, the LEGAL requirement for your to pay any of these taxes from 2011 and earlier expires on 31 January 2012.

You need to consult with a tax attorney to be sure, but, In my opinion, you could quit your current job and legally walk away from this requirement to pay these taxes back. The taxes would be paid, but your employer would be obligated to pay them, NOT you.
    pravw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2012, 09:30 PM
    Thanks for the response. It's good to have a confirmation that I am not legally responsible. It will help me when I will be negotiating with my employer.

Also, can the adjustments made for the reimbursement be considered for tax deductions for the next year?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 8, 2012, 07:17 AM
    No; payment of FICA taxes is NOT tax deductible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1-b fica not withheld - what are my options [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have been working in the us since 02/08/2008 I was on OPT from 02/08/2008 to 10/01/2008 I am on h1-b since then My employer did not withheld FICA on my paycheck since 10/01/2008 What are my options? Do I owe the money to IRS or my employer? Can I find an agreement with my employer...

FICA taxes not withheld by my employer [ 18 Answers ]

Just got a letter from my employer that I am to make FICA Taxes repayment as from 2005 to 2009. Are they allowed as per the Tax Pub 15 to ask me to repay from 2005 until now or just ask for 2009 only? Also since it was the Corps fault are they allowed to charge an interest rate forwards the...

FICA taxes not withheld by my employer [ 14 Answers ]

Hi all, I came to US on F-1 status in Aug 1998. I joined my current company on OPT in May 2000. I got my H1B status in July 2001. Till date (Dec 2006), my employer has not withheld the FICA taxes. I was not very well-informed on this and realised it is better to fix the situation. My questions are...

FICA tax not withheld [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on H1B visa since March 1st 2007. My employer didn't deduct FICA till now. I am not aware of these taxes before. I asked them about it today. They said that they'll deduct from March 1st onwards. On the day of joining itself, I've given them details about my visa status and filled w4. Will...

FICA not withheld on H1B! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Thanks in advance for your great service! My situation is as follows: I converted from OPT (F1) to H1B in January 2006. My employer filed for a FICA refund for my OPT period. However, they forgot to activate FICA on my H1B. We just realized it today and they're now in the process...

View more questions Search