Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mickylee1989 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2012, 06:43 PM
    Problem with a restaurant
    I go to a western sizzlin, get the buffet for two, there was no selection and the food they did have was old and nasty, I ask for a refund. They told me since I paid with my bank card that I can't be refunded I can only have a gift card.. I didn't want a gift card.. Anyway the manager got rude when I asked got corporates number she said they only pay them to use the name that they have no say in what they do, they didn't have it posted no returns or anything, I didn't even take a bite of my food, is there something I can do? Are they allowed to not return my money?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 6, 2012, 06:52 PM
    They are probably a franchise independently owned. But that doesn't mean they don't answer to corporate. However, a store can refuse a refund in lieu of store credit.

You can complain here:

Western Sizzlin Steak and More Restaurant - Great Signature Steaks, Fresh and Bountiful Salad Bars and Buffets

May 6, 2012, 07:01 PM
    So even though the business wasn't up to par with health regulations they can keep my money? Isn't that against the consumer bill of rights?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2012, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickylee1989 View Post
    So even though the business wasn't up to par with health regulations they can keep my money? Isn't that against the consumer bill of rights?
    I have to ask, how much is it worth to you to get a refund? How much did you pay for this meal? Are you willing to spend money, and time, to get a refund?

I work at a Dollar store. Our company policy is "no returns, no refunds". All the items in the store are $2 or under. Many customers get very angry when they come to return a faulty item, and we can't do it. It's company policy. There's nothing I, or the manager of the store, can do. It is what it is. We have to answer to corporate, and they made the policy.

I've often told customer to complain, send a letter to the owner of the chain. But really, at most they're out $2. What do you expect, quality wise, from a $2 product?

So, how much is it worth to you? Are you willing to spend more money to pursue this, even if there's a chance that you'll lose? Or should you let it go, never go back there, and chalk it up to a lesson learned?

May 6, 2012, 07:11 PM
    Well alty, the money isn't the main thing. It's the fact that if businesses can get away with things like that then where does that leave the consumer? And the 2 dollar items they purchased they took home, they owned it, the store you work at doesn't deal with food nor can you not follow health regulations there. But when I didn't even eat anything, I seen how disgusting the place was, the food, no gloves, no hair nets. Dirty dishes next to clean dishes. People taking money is prepping food, that's a no go for me. I want to show then they can't get away with junk like that, the money isn't the issue, I left a lady a 10$ tip on a 12$ order yesterday just to be nice, it's more about the point that needs put out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2012, 07:35 PM
    Were other people eating ? I assume so, so it was up to someone's standards.

You may or may not know if any health codes were violated. You may assume so,

If the gift card is good at any store, you should have taken a gift card. Also a lesson learned to use a real credit card, not a bank card, A credit card you can dispute the charges, a bank card you can not.

Next yes they can also give credit back to a bank card, it takes a few days often for the money to show up, but it can be done.

You can contact corporate office and file a formal complaint. Also if the person you talked to was not the owner, you go back and see the owner.

May 6, 2012, 07:39 PM
    There was one group of people eating there, and whether it's to their standards or not isn't the matter. I was paying for my meal, so therefore, it's my decision if they are up to par. And yes, there was health codes violated I stated them above... Clean dishes and dirty dishes. Someone handling cash and serving food. All bad news.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2012, 07:43 PM
    Well alty, the money isn't the main thing. It's the fact that if businesses can get away with things like that then where does that leave the consumer? And the 2 dollar items they purchased they took home, they owned it, the store you work at doesn't deal with food nor can you not follow health regulations there. But when I didn't even eat anything, I seen how disgusting the place was, the food, no gloves, no hair nets. Dirty dishes next to clean dishes. People taking money is prepping food, that's a no go for me. I wanna show then they can't get away with junk like that, the money isn't the issue, I left a lady a 10$ tip on a 12$ order yesterday just to be nice, it's more about the point that needs put out.
    Actually, the store I work in does deal with food. We sell canned goods, dry goods, sauces, peanut butter, chips, you name it. And our no refund no return policy includes those items. We have to have, and do have, a license to carry and handle food.

Fact is, if you shut down all the restaurants that don't handle food properly, have unhealthy conditions, you'd be left with only a handful of restaurants. Most restaurants would make you cringe if you actually saw the way they handle and prepare food. Do you eat at fast food restaurants? If you do, I hate to tell you, but you've already eaten food that, if you had seen it prepared by the teens that are hired to prepare it, would make you vomit.

I don't disagree with you. I do see your point. I'm just saying that you're fighting a losing cause, and if you pursue it, you'll be out a lot more money then the money you lost for the meal you purchased and didn't consume.

So my question stands. How much time and money are you willing to lose to pursue this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2012, 08:12 PM
    Yes, not sure if you actually read the ratings of most places, esp small places and also fast food places. Many fail from time to time and are given time to clean it up. They store food wrong, don't keep temp properly. And more. And sorry but food does not always have to be up to "your" standards, they have to be up to a acceptable standard. There is not a single one chain fast food hamburger that would ever be up to my standard, But they sell them every day, and if I ordered one, try to give up back even if I did not eat it. They have to throw it away.

So part of yours, did you fill your plate, or just refuse to dip anything on your plate.

Again how much do you want to spend, and how much work do you want to do , to try and get a refund.

Sue then in small claims court.

Go out on weekend and picket their store.

Write a formal letter to corporate office

Go back and talk to the actual owner of the store

May 6, 2012, 08:26 PM
    A business can't survive in a recession if they don't focus on each customer that walks through the door, so yes up to my standards would be good also, if not then I don't return for business. A good business runs solely off customer satisfaction. The managers don't get rude with a customer expressing his or her concerns. And I don't want to sue them, I do not want money. And if the businesses can't keep up with regulations then they don't need to sell food. It's hazardous and is against consumers rights. Let alone they had nothing on the buffet marked with what is it; therefore, if someone ate one thing believing it was something else and had an allegic reaction then that would be grounds for a law suit. If they expect people to be satisfied, then they should handle their business. Take concrete for example, the boss has his team make a drive way, the drive way is a piece of crap and is falling apart, the company didn't handle the regulations correctly so the consumer can sue or even pull money from the bondsman.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 7, 2012, 03:25 AM
    And yes, there was health codes violated I stated them above....
    Are you a health code inspector? Are you knowledgeable about the health codes in your area? Unless you are you cannot state positively that codes were violated.

I understand it's the principle of the thing. So you have a few options.

1) Contact corporate. I gave you their web site. Franchisee's still need to adhere to corporate standards or they will lose their franchise.
    2) Contact the health department. If you THINK codes were violated then report them. If they were as egregious as you claim, then they will send an inspector.
    3) Check with your local consumer affairs department. Refund policy is regulated by local law. Usually on the county or municipality level. Generally the law requires that the policy be posted prominently.but does not dictate the exact policy.

If its not about the money but the principle, then you will do all those things. I understand what your feeling is, but there is no point in arguing with us. No one is telling you not to take action, we are just giving you the realities of the situation.

I agree with you, in today's economy, customer service is often the differentiating factor between businesses. But this is primarily a Q&A site, not a blog or or soapbox. We have other forums if you want to discuss the value of customer service in today's economy.

So exercize your options as I have outlined them, then come back and lets us know what , if anything, happened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name for a restaurant [ 1 Answers ]

I want a name for a south indian restaurant

I want to start a restaurant [ 5 Answers ]

I really want to start a restaurant and gift shop. I have a great vision for it however no funding. What is the best way to find out if there is grant money available for something like this. I don't trust a lot of these web sites I keep navigating to. Can someone point me in the right...

The Restaurant [ 2 Answers ]

An elderly couple had dinner at another couple's house, and after eating, the wives left the table and went into the kitchen. The two gentlemen were talking, and one said, 'Last night we went out to a new restaurant and it was really great. I would recommend it very highly.' The other man...

One restaurant to two, what to do? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a sole propietership business, no employees, me and my wife only. We are going to rent the kitchen of a nightclub/bar, we are also going into partnership with someone to buy current pizza shop and change over to our pizza food and name. What do I need to do license wise and tax wise. We...

Restaurant Name [ 3 Answers ]

I'm about to open a take-out/delivery type of steakhouse and I've come up with the name Bully's. And have a bull as the logo that looks like a bully. But someone told me that that sends the wrong message,can anyone please help. I would really appreciate as many replies to this as possible as like a...

View more questions Search