nitric acid and sodium equation
    I know it si HNO3 Na = NaN03 H2

But how do I balance it please
    Chic_Bowdrie Posts: 54, Reputation: 8

May 6, 2012, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello411 View Post
    i know it si HNO3 Na = NaN03 H2

But how do i balance it please
    Your reaction is probably HNO3 + Na => NaN03 + H2. There are general rules for balancing chemical equations and some are so complicated that following the rules is crucial. This equation is not like that. The main thing to notice is the primary elements N and Na are already balanced. So is O. All you have to do is insert 1/2 in front of the H2 and the equation balances. Its OK to multiply both sides by 2 and express the final answer as 2HNO3 + 2Na => 2NaNO3 + H2
    Hello411 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2012, 08:22 AM
    Thanks but the problem is I never understand when you are suppose to cross valency basically I am not getting chemistry at all especially moles.

May 14, 2012, 04:34 PM
    It is hard to balance equations if you don't know the valences involved. To know the valences you have to learn the characteristics of the reactants and products. In this problem NO3 has a net valence of -1 and it does not change during the reaction. The Na ion is losing an electron and its valence goes from 0 to +1. To balance, H is originally +1 but picks up the electron from the Na and goes to a valence of 0. The coefficient of 2 is needed because H is normally combined as a diatomic molecule.

I guess this is one reason Chem is hard. There is no short cut. You have to figure out the valences of the components in the reaction to balance it.
    Hello411 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2012, 08:28 AM
    Thanks
    SHALEEN MEHTA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2012, 07:14 AM
    HNO3 + Na = NaNO3 + H2O IS IT CORRECT?

Jul 26, 2012, 08:10 AM
    No, Shaleen, it is not.

Na and NO3 are combining in a single replacement oxidation-reduction reaction. There is no source of any further O available to create a H2O molecule. Na is oxidized to Na+ and H+ is reduced to H2. The valence of H in H2O is still +1.
    ChicBOOM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2015, 12:01 AM
    But there is this property of a metal which says that only magnesium and manganese react with VERY DILUTE NITRIC ACID to liberate Hydrogen gas. Other metals react with nitric acid to liberate nitric oxides such as nitorgen monoxide or dinitrogen monoxide or nitrogen dioxide. That is particularly why I was confused.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2015, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicBOOM View Post
    But there is this property of a metal which says that only magnesium and manganese react with VERY DILUTE NITRIC ACID to liberate Hydrogen gas. Other metals react with nitric acid to liberate nitric oxides such as nitorgen monoxide or dinitrogen monoxide or nitrogen dioxide. That is particularly why I was confused.
    ONLY Mg and Mn? ANY metal ABOVE hydrogen in the activity series will liberate hydrogen with VERY DILUTE HNO3. Google "reactivity series of metals" and you will see where hydrogen fits.
    kreysiz Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Sep 8, 2015, 10:15 PM
    Na is a metal with valency = 1
    HNO3 is a monobasic acid
    thus, the reaction between them will be in the molar ratio of 1:1.
    Provide your solution for further details.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why use nitric acid in the preparation of calcium standards [ 1 Answers ]

Why not use ddeionised water?

How do I create this equation. Nitric acid and potassium borate [ 1 Answers ]

This is for double titration question, It has three endpoints. KBO3... BO3 is a base? And HNO3 >> H= H30 Acid and NO3= Base... but which base do I use! Help, I have my final exam tomorrow and can not figure this out! I just need the net reaction, thanks!

State one observation when calcium carbonate is added until excess of nitric acid. [ 2 Answers ]

NITRIC ACID,Concentration/mol dm^-3=0.5 and the pH value=2.0

Reaction of potassium hydroxide with nitric acid [ 1 Answers ]

The reaction of potassium hydroxide with nitric acid in water is given by the following equation: a. KOH (aq) + HNO3 (aq) > H2O + NO (g) + KO2 (aq) b. KOH (aq) + HNO3 (aq) > KNO3 (aq) + H2 (g) ...

Calcium carbonate added to nitric acid? [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know what calcium carbonate and excess Nitric acid makes. Please help

View more questions Search