Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trusweetie2001 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 09:18 PM
    Dcf made me sign over my rights can I get my daughter back?
    My daughters father and I had a physical argument and dcf was called.the whole thing ended up going on for two years.my mother kept calling on my husband and I even know nothing else was happening.he actually was the one to put his hands on me.anyway,it got to the point where dcf told me that I had no other choice but to sign my rights over.well,my mother and step dad ended up adopting my daughter.she is now 3 and she gets treated really badly by my parents and she is in a worse off situation now than she was before.I was wanting to know if there was anyway that I could get my daughter back even though dcf made me sign over my rights in the first place?my mother is also now trying to take away my son,but dcf has found nothing this time.so I won't lose this one.thanks
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2007, 06:38 PM
    I've never heard of dcf making you "sign your rights over." They may step in and take temporary custody of a child and place them in foster care, in this case the foster caregivers being your mother and step dad. But they always alow for this possibility that things may change in the future and that eventually any child in their care may be returned to their parent(s). That sounds like what's happening in this case. OF course, if you have any concerns about that your daughter is being mistreated by your parents, you should report it immediately.
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

Mar 5, 2011, 01:52 AM
    Sometimes the terms we use have different meanings in different spheres. "sighning over your rights" generally this sounds like terminating your parental rights, but DCF does not have the authority to do that. It may only be done through the trial process either with a finding on the merits or through default.

I wonder if what you have done is allow your parents to have custody/guardianship of your child. If that is the case a court can reverse that quickly. I am troubled because you use the word adoption, prior to an adoption there must be a termination of parental rights (mother and father) did this occur?

Try and give us more information so we can point you in the right direction. (I assume you already have an attorney working on this).
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2011, 09:36 AM

This is from 2007 - no activity on this thread since that time.
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

Mar 6, 2011, 01:20 AM
    My bad, it popped up and I didn't look at the date.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can he sign over rights? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 22 years old and live in California and recently found out that I am pregnant. I am happy but my ex boyfriend is not. He is in the army and feels this baby and I will ruin his military career. He feels I am only keeping this baby so I can receive the benefits from the Army. He wants to sign...

Can I sign off my parental rights [ 27 Answers ]

I have 2 kid that live in Washington state and I live in houston I want to sign off my rights can you do that or not I was told the only way was if my ex wife got married and the man wanted to adoped my 2 kids can anoy help me with this

How do I sign away my rights to a child in Texas? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old that I know nothing about and she has a step parent figure in the picture who would adopt my daughter. How do I go about doing it and who is finacially responsible for it?

Getting Him To Sign His Rights Over [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out how I go about getting my ex to sign his rights over and whether I can have him forced to sign them. My ex husband is a danger to my children and I have had to have two protection orders filed against him and five warrants for harassment and I just filed another for...

View more questions Search