Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Josskacer Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 04:19 PM
    My friend was groped... and seemed okay with it
    Okay my best friend, someone I have known for about six years is getting a PhD in biology. As part of her research she had to go out of town about two months ago and use a special microscope at another institution. While there the lab technician who was assigned to her made a pass at her. He asked her out and she said no. Later on he tried to kiss her against her will. I thought that it was odd that she didn't want to report it to a supervisor. She said that she didn't want to upset him because "he likes me and isn't charging me for a lot of microscope time." I thought that was odd.

Last week she had to return to this lab and work with this man again. This time, according to her, he kept touching her inappropriately and making lewd remarks. Again she did nothing. She complained to me about it on the phone and I offered to send him an email explaining to him that those advances were making her uncomfortable and to stop. She told me not to. She complained everyday about it and when I asked her why she wasn't being more forceful to stop him her reply was"I need his help for my work. I would have to do so much more of this myself if he wasn't there." This shocked me.

Now I must confess that recently my friend and I have confessed that we have feelings for each other and have begun dating but her conduct is making me a little disgusted. To top it off she went to dinner with this man the last night she was there. When I asked her why she would want to go have dinner with someone who groped and harassed her she said "he helped me a lot and I don't want to be rude. I might need him again.".

Am I over reacting by thinking this is a bit slutty? It seems unfathomable to me that this women would allow this man to force himself on her and be so casual about it simply because "she might need him in the future?" I was attracted to this women because she seemed to have integrity and high standards but now I have lost a lot of respect for her. Am I over reacting here?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 5, 2012, 04:51 PM
    Drop it, leave it alone, but pay very close attention guy if you continue dating. This may be what you need to get her off a pedestal you have seemingly put her on. Friends and colleagues are different than dating, and it just might be she handles MANY things differently than you do.

Is this a red flag?? Could be. Consider yourself on alert, and see what else is revealed. I have to admit, not many threads make me go What! This one did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Teenage son lets 19 yr. Old friend drive parents car and the friend wrecks it. [ 5 Answers ]

The 19 yr. old is licensed and has his own insurance. He is at fault in the wreck. One of the passengers in the other vehicle conveniently discovers neck pain when the police arrive. How much liability will the parents insurance company have toward vehicle repair and who is responsible for the...

F your girl friend is telling her friend that she don't know if she love her boy frie [ 3 Answers ]

F your girl friend is telling her friend that she don't know if she love her boy friend or not,but she don't want to loss him,what is the meaning

Groped & Fondled [ 6 Answers ]

Hello All, Am Sharon and this is my first post... slightly awkward posting but felt I needed to just get it out and possibly hear about other peoples experiences so that I know I am alone... My husband got a job abroad and I went with him (its completely alient culture - don't want to name the...

I unknowingly groped my ex girlfriends sister while I was having a blackout [ 6 Answers ]

I was in a 4 year loving relationship and engaged to my ex girlfriend when suddenly both our worlds were crushed. I have had a binge drinking problem for a while now but never thought I was losing control of myself. 3 months ago my ex girlfriends sister told her mother that I groped her on 2...

View more questions Search