Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CheCol Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 02:04 PM
    How to Convert a 15 Amp Plug Into a 20 Amp;
    The existing recepticale is a 20 A 125V Hubbell twist lock,
    The plug on the pump motor is 15 A 120V.
    What is the best and proper way make them compatible.
    Chic_Bowdrie Posts: 54, Reputation: 8

May 5, 2012, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CheCol View Post
    The existing recepticale is a 20 A 125V Hubbell twist lock,
    The plug on the pump motor is 15 A 120V.
    What is the best and proper way make them compatable.
    Is there any other receptacle available? If the pump has the original cord and they are rated for 15 amps, then you don't need a 20 amp circuit. The 20 A receptacle has different shape so you won't plug a 20 amp device into a 15 amp circuit. It's OK to plug a 15 amp device into an outlet protected by a 20 amp breaker.

If for whatever reason you want to use your Hubbel 20 amp receptacle, you'll have to change your plug to a Hubbel L5-20 or L6-20 depending on whether your receptacle is L5-20 or L6-20.

Also make sure that isn't a 240 volt receptacle. There is a L14-20P plug for that. But you wouldn't want to use that with a 120 volt pump.
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

May 11, 2012, 07:04 AM
    What you're considering doing would actually create a dangerous situation, possibly leading to a fire.

The intent of a circuit breaker (hear me out here, this is leading somewhere relevant) is to protect the wires running from it, to the "appliance" from over heating and catching fire... sounds weird, most think the breaker is intended to protect the "appliance" or what's plugged in at the end, but I'll give a quick explanation. Most normally think the breaker is to protect the appliance, in this case the spa. Lets say you have a 240v spa designed to use a 50a circuit. Say the pump is designed to use 10a, the heater uses 25a, there's a blower that uses 8a... whatever. The spa takes a 50a breaker to operate. The wiring running from the breaker to the spa has to be able to handle 50a of current running through them. Pretty obvious, right? Ok, so what happens if the pump, that's only rated for 10a, malfunctions and starts pulling 30a? The 50a breaker won't trip... but the pump is going to be totally fried... the main circuit breaker will NOT protect against something like this.

So, what the heck does any of this have to do with your question :-)?. You have a spa with a cord, with a plug on the end, that's designed to go into an outlet that will supply a maximum of 15a of current. You want to change the plug, so you can plug it into a outlet capable of supplying 20a of current. "Sounds" like a no brainer. Problem, the CORD of the spa, is probably only capable of carrying 15a... IF the spa malfunctions, and tried to pull 20a, the breaker won't trip, and the cord could overheat and start a fire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use a 13 amp plug from my washer into a 15 amp power outlet? [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Sirs, I moved into a house. I bought a new washer with a 13 amp plug. When this is plugged into a 15 amp power outlet the power is cut. What should I do? Your advice is most appreciated.

15 amp extension cord to plug in 20 amp equipment? [ 22 Answers ]

I need to know if I can convert a 15 amp extension cord to plug in 20 amp equipment (temporary). The plug on the equipment has one fin turned perpendicular to the other. Is there an adapter for this?

Lowest cost to convert fuse box (100 amp) to circuit breakers (200 amp) [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I know nothing about electricity but am buying a 4-apartment building that was built in 1930. Each apartment is about 1000 square feet, 2 bedroom and 1 bath. Space heaters and wall-unit air conditioners only... Each apartment has a fuse box and 100 amp service. I want to upgrade to...

View more questions Search