Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LBP Posts: 206, Reputation: 42

Feb 23, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Why ask. (this is for dumpers)
    When you don't want to hear the answer? This is to dumpers specifically. I know that basically everyone reacts the same way to being dumped and virtually all the dumpers expect the opposite reaction from the people they leave. Yet it's a standard tactic for a dumper to call their dumpee, ask them how they're doing, then get offended/angry when the question they ask is answered honestly... Why do that? Why pretend to be interested in someone's well being when you're only interested in hearing what you want to hear?

Is it expected that the person in question lie about their feelings, in order to appear stronger than they are? I've heard dumpees say it again and again "I pretended to be okay and things went really well!" So you HAVE to pretend in order to perform meaningful conversation? That seems crazy, illogical.

Perhaps my question is just a round about way of reaffirming no contact...
    Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Honesty is the halmark of a healthy relationship. When we are accepted and when we accept we thrive. Sure, "pretend" to game-up a little in the short term. BUT someone you love and respect it would be a bit painful, and perhaps impractical, to lie completely if trying to share a conversation about the prospects of a real relationship.

And besides, suffering more "for them" is not necesssary.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Are you saying that the person who dumps their bf/gf, calls the dumpee after the fact to ask how they are doing? How rude! Terribly insensitive.

I have been the one who has ended a relationship and I do not do that. That is plain mean. What could I accomplish by that? Rub their nose in it?

Once the relationship has ended, that is pretty much it. You may run into each other like at a mall or out to eat but not to do that on purpose, especially if the dumpee was really upset and hurt.
    LBP Posts: 206, Reputation: 42

Feb 23, 2007, 06:39 PM
    It seems fairly typical... Especially if the dumper says "I want to be friends" at the end of their dumping.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Oh yeah, the "I want to be friends" line of b.s. I have had that handed to me enough times too. That really helps get over the breakup. (rolls my eyes)
    Teaching Posts: 198, Reputation: 28

Feb 23, 2007, 11:15 PM
    I think the dumpers feel guilty and perhaps they ask all the wrong things

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dumpers [ 36 Answers ]

I have never had the courage of dumping someone and I I don't think I'll ever do so unless I am in an abusive and life threatening relationship which has never been the case thanks be 2 God Most of the posts on this forum are about dumpees and how to deal with the pain.. but what about dumpers?....

View more questions Search