Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKimberley Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Settling debt with a Collection Agency
    Thank you for your reply. I agree that getting a loan isn't a good idea but for some reason they just did not understand that. I made this debt for myself and intend to pay it but they also don't understand that I can't afford the monthly payment they are asking for and told them I would send what I can, which still isn't good enough. I thought they were suppose to work with you, instead I was spoken to rudely. The girl I spoke to also mentioned something about a Hardship case, what is that?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2007, 09:00 PM
    Hello AK:

You should keep your responses in the same thread. That way the guy that answered you before (Jeff Chandler) will know that you answered him.

I think you have the wrong idea about collections. It isn't fair. They're not nice. They're not obligated to work with you. They don't have to settle anything. They don't care what you can afford. They don't have to acccept what you offer. They hold all the cards, because you owe the money, they can prove it, and they'll sue you if they don't get what they want. If they sue you, they'll attach your bank accounts and garnish your wages.

That doesn't mean you have to lie down for them - not by a long shot. But it does mean that you must do SOMETHING. If you ignore it, it will come back to bite you.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency [ 7 Answers ]

I was contacted by a collection agency a few months ago about a debt for an emergency room visit. I told them I had not received any bills, and that I would try to apply for charity care. Two months later they called back. I told the woman I was speaking to that I would like a copy of the bill...

Collection Agency - Over 2 years old debt? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi My parents received a call from a Collection Agency regarding ME They took the info and I called them Apparently over 2 years ago I had an outstanding bill with Bell Canada I asked the Collection Agency to tell me what was on the Bill They stated they only had a dollar amount and no...

Settling debt with a Collection Agency [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the thing. I've only been working for 1 year after not having a job for almost 2 years. Obviously I wasn't able to make the monthly payments on my credit cards. I told the girl that on what I make a week, I could not possibly pay the 200-300 dollars a month that the creditor wanted. They...

Summons from Collection Agency [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons this weekend from a collection agency. It is for a credit card debt of $2,000. I was advised to appear in court 30 days from the date on the summons which is January 25, 2007. I had resumed payment of this credit card in December, when the summons was filed, after not...

What to say to collection agency? [ 1 Answers ]

Book Antiqua1blue My question is probably a common knowledge question, however not for me. About 2 years ago an ex-girlfriend (of Course) and I went into a jewelry store that my ex-girlfriends best friends mom worked. We found a ring of course that total was around $1200.00. I put 25% down. At...

View more questions Search