Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    s29jones Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2012, 11:06 AM
    Attorney says back taxes no longer due after 2 years
    My boyfriend owes several past years of business taxes. He recently spoke with an attorney to discuss bankruptcy and foreclosure and was told that he should wait to move forward until November 2012, when $29K due to IRS filed in November 2010 will no longer be considered due. How can this be true? Why wouldn't everyone just not pay taxes if they shluff out of the system?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 4, 2012, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by s29jones View Post
    My boyfriend owes several past years of business taxes. He recently spoke with an attorney to discuss bankruptcy and foreclosure and was told that he should wait to move forward until November 2012, when $29K due to IRS filed in November 2010 will no longer be considered due. How can this be true? Why wouldn't everyone just not pay taxes if they shluff out of the system?
    That attorney is either #1. An Idiot or #2. he (boyfriend) misunderstood what he (attorney) said.

What you believe is true... they can come ofter those taxes for years to come... there is no 2 year and you are off scott free statute of limitations.

I can foresee him getting in SERIOUS trouble in the near future if he doesn't find a new, competent Attorney soon. Someone that didn't get their Law Degree out of a Cracker-Jack box.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 4, 2012, 11:17 AM
    You either misunderstood what the attorney was saying, or he is giving you bad advice. If the IRS is owed money, they will call is "owed" for long past 2 years. I don't know how long, but I know for sure that it is far more than 2 years.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 4, 2012, 12:25 PM
    I suspect this is a communication issue.

While the taxes will still be owed, once they hit a certain time limit of being past due, they ARE eligible to be discharged under a bankruptcy proceeding. I do NOT know the particulars on this, since I am NOT a bankruptcy attorney, but I suspect that is the intent of the attorney cited above.
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

May 5, 2012, 07:12 AM
    Generally the IRS will try to collect taxes for ten years from the date the tax was assessed. However, taxes can be cleared in bankruptcy if some specific rules are met. One of those rules is that the returns have to have been filed two years before the bankruptcy petition. This is where the two years comes in. However, that is not the only rule to be met before the tax is "no longer be considered due". Your boyfriend did the best thing in consulting with a professional as this is a complicated area.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2012, 08:07 AM
    Yes, there is a real misunderstanding of the statements made, The way you understand it, and the real law is not the same.

They will often find and come after taxes much more than 2 years late.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He no longer loves me after 8 years together. Will he come back? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend recently split up with me. We were together for 8 years and we were each others first love. We met when we were 16. We have had such a great relationship, with its ups and downs of course, but we get on so well and I thought we had something very special. He told me about a month...

Italian postdoc in the US, Do I have to pay taxes if I will stay longer than 2 years? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am italian, I came in the US to work as post-doc (research scholar) in April 2009 with a J1 visa that will expire in 1 year. Probably I will stay in the US longer than 1 year, maybe 3 or 4 and I was told that I have a tax exemption for the first 2 years. If I will stay here longer than 2...

Can I go back years and refile state taxes in michiganto claim my rent that I did no [ 1 Answers ]

This year on mt stae taxes I claimed my ren,but the last few years I did not claim my rent so can I refile back years taxes and claim the rent for them years?

Why females live longer than males: is it due to the fathers sperm? [ 1 Answers ]

Why females live longer than males: is it due to the father’s sperm? Researchers in Japan have found that female mice produced by using genetic material from two mothers but no father live significantly longer than mice with the normal mix of maternal and paternal genes. Their findings provide...

View more questions Search