Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crazy gooner Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 05:27 PM
    A lump on my head! Really worried.
    Hey everyone. Sorry to bother all, Id just ike some basic advice.

The situation is this:

Yesterday I was eating my dinner at the table with a friend, then my friend found a bump/lump on my head after I was looking behind me. (Others have also fet my head and described what I am about to below)

The lump is about the size of a penny, or slighty biggger and is on the back of my head half way down in the middle.

I'm only 18 and seriously worried whether it could be a tumor or cancerous. Please help, I don't know what to do and if I should worry.

Again, id appreciate any help.

Many thanks. :(

Ed
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Most likely it is a sebaceous cyst. That just means that oil has gathered and slightly hardened under the skin. Nothing to worry about, I had several and had them removed.

To be sure make an appointment with your doctor to have them examined by a professional. All we can do here in cyberspace is just guess. You doc is by far your best bet to put your mind at ease.

Feb 23, 2007, 05:56 PM
    Thanks very much J_9 for your quick and caring answer, it's much appreciated.

It's only one lump at the moment. I will try and see the doctor next week, then report back here with what the doctor says.

If it is a sebaceous cyst, how will they remove it?

Thanks again!
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 05:59 PM
    Ah, very simple surgery. I actually had 2. Depending on the cyst itself, they just put you in a twilight sleep, deaden it, and cut it out. No big deal, no problem at all. Back home in about an hour.

Feb 23, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Ahhh I see. I hope it is just what you said J_9, can these cysts become cancerous or related to tumours at all? Or are they just basic cysts that come and can be easily removed?

Thanks
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 06:11 PM
    They are very easily removed. I am sure they can become cancerous, but I am pretty sure the incidence of cancer is low.

Now, if you are talking brain tumor, that would be under the skull and you would not feel it at all.

Really sebaceous cysts are common and of no concern. Now, understand that without a physical exam all we are doing is just guessing. You need to have your doctor diagnose this properly, okay?

Feb 23, 2007, 06:16 PM
    I understand J_9. Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated.

I will report on my results I get from the doctor next week.

Thanks again!
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 06:19 PM
    Yes, please, I would love to hear what you find out!!

Hey, have a great weekend!

Feb 24, 2007, 04:17 AM
    No problem, I will report here once I have been to the doctors.

Have a good weekend too!

Speak soon

Many thanks again!

Feb 27, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Hi J_9, had the lum check, the doctor said it wasn't nothing. Not anything like a cyst etc.

So I gues I should believe them? Still a bit paranoid though.

Thanks for your time and help. Much appreciated.
    Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Yes, you should believe them. A cyst is nothing to worry about, really. It can be just like a pimple or an ingrown hair.

Glad everything worked out for you. No reason to be paranoid. I get little pimple like cysts all the time every since my chemo, no big deal really.

(Oh, don't freak out about the chemo, I had breast cancer and had chemo, nothing to do with cysts or pimples on the head);)

Feb 27, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Ahh, sorry to hear that J_9. Hope your okay now? Your in a positive mood!

I hope everythings okay for yourself. I very much appreciate your help and time.

People like you make this world a better place.
    Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Thank you Gooner.

Yes, I am fine, actually cured. Has been 10+ years now. Thank you for your concern.

Feb 27, 2007, 03:59 PM
    I'm glad your okay J_9.

IHave to good bed now as I have an early start at work tomorrow (I'm in the UK). I'll still be around here.

Thanks again, take care.

Speak soon!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lump/Bump on penis... Help... Worried [ 9 Answers ]

Hey, I'm a 15 going on to 16 year old, going through last part of puberty and I just today found a bump on the right bottom part of my penis shaft... its red around the bottom of the bump and a little whitter at the top... Im really worried I don't know what to do.. Im still a virgin.. and I'm...

Lump on my head [ 8 Answers ]

I am having the same kind of lump that (simioney posted on oct.25,2006) The only difference is that last week a lump about the size of a penny suddenly appeared on the left side of the lower back of my head and tonight I just discovered that now left side is gone and now the lump is on my lower...

Lump on baby's head [ 1 Answers ]

My 5 month old baby has (over the last week or so) developed a solid lump on the top of his head. It is directly behind his soft spot and couldn't be more central. A doctor friend advised when the lump was a lot smaller that it was either the skull coming together and doing it's thing or a cyst....

Lump on my head [ 1 Answers ]

About a month ago, I found a lump on the right side of my head on the top of my skull. Its not even with the other side of my head because there's no other lump on the other side. It doesn't hurt when I put pressure on it. Its just hard. I don't get headaches or feel any other kind of pain. ...

Lump on back of head [ 4 Answers ]

I am 14 years old. Recently, lots of my lymph nodes have swollen up. This was about a week ago. Now, a lump has appeared, as if from nowhere on the back of my head. The lump is hard and non-moveable. It is not painful if left alone but when pressure is applied it can be felt. Is this connected to...

View more questions Search