Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jayne VN Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2012, 02:52 AM
    Pets & Animals (Dogs)
    I need some help with my 10month old castrated male Pointer or Blue Heeler cross. He is very boisterous, witrh a mind of his own but the main problem I have is that he bullies my 12 year old Boerbull cross - not in an aggressive way but always manages to make the old guy retreat back into a safe place. How can I overcome this problem?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 4, 2012, 04:20 AM
    This is very common and usually outgrown soon enough, but it's your job to keep a consistent and persistent watch on the younger one and teach him that it's not OK, even if you have to barricade for a while, or keep a leash on him even in the house that you can hold and have him sit, stay, and lie down when he starts up. When he's lying down, bring the older dog out of his corner but not too close, and go back and forth to pat each dog, and give them a tiny treat (but not every time, or even half the time).
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2012, 10:47 PM
    So is he a pointer? Or a blue heeler mix? If you can figure out your breed, we may be able to help you with your problems. Both breeds are high energy and need lots of exercise. However; both breeds need different types of exercise. If your dog is a heeler, then him being "mean" to your other dog is just coming natural for his hearding instincts. If he is a pointer and is being "mean" to your other dog, than I would assume it is a power struggle and that your new dog is wanting to be in charge of your older dog.. and your older dog is stepping down.

Other than being there for your other dog and correcting the behavior you don't like, there isn't much you can do. Until your older dog tells this pup what is on his mind, it will continue. Human intervention with issues like this rarely work.

Just always be there for your older dog. Don't let the two alone together and ensure you are giving your older dog LOTS of extra attention.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flower beds and animals - keep cats & dogs out [ 1 Answers ]

What to use in flower beds to keep dogs and cats out

Pets & animals > cats [ 3 Answers ]

I have a pregnant cat and she only had one kitten earlier this year and she is being very mean to her kitten, is this normal?

Pets & animals [ 1 Answers ]

Why is my is so much pain after being bred?

View more questions Search