Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mickyNY Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Married in dec 2006, both opt->h1 from oct 2006, tax category?
    Hi,

Me and my wife were both on F1->OPT till sep 2006. Both of us started our H1B From Oct 1,2006. We got married in Dec 2006.
    Now according to SPT both of us are non residents for tax purposes as days spent on F1->OPT are not counted towards SPT. But if we file jointly(which we should since we were married on Dec 31,2006), should we file as residents or non residents(is there something called filing as non residents married jointly).
    1) If married non residents - then what do we lose from tax point of view as compared to residents?
    2) If married residents - then do we have to pay for social security and medicare for up to Sep 2006(which was not deducted from our salaries as we were on F1->OPT then)?
    I a really confused here. I would appreciate any guidance in this regards. Thank you so much in advance.

Regards,
    Micky
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 24, 2007, 12:28 AM
    Micky:

File jointly as resident aliens. You need to wait until early June before you can file (to meet SPT).

Do not worry about the uncollected Social Security and Medicare taxes. The IRS will not expect you to pay the uncollected taxes and the employer will not try to collect it retroactively.

Feb 24, 2007, 02:45 PM
    If we want to file now i.e. not wait until June, under which category do we have to file? Can we still file as non resident married??
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Feb 24, 2007, 07:05 PM
    I disagree with Atlanta. I believe that there is a genuine risk that you will have to pay the social security tax. Your W2 is showing no social security taxes have been paid. Effectively, unless you told your employer otherwise, you misinformed the employer.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2007, 01:00 AM
    TasSearcher:

To say Micky misinformed his employer is to imply that he knew he was going to get married on 31 Dec 06 in order to take advantage of filing jointly at the time he was hired or on 1 Jan 06, whichever occurred later.

Just try proving that in a court of law! :-)

If the IRS were serious about collecting FICA taxes from those who made the "file jointly and choose to be resident aliens for all of the year", they would spell out that fact, just like they spell out the fact that ALL world-wide income becomes subject to U.S. income taxes.

Have you ever heard of a case of the IRS trying to collect back FICA taxes when someone opts to be treated as resident aliens? I have not, and I have asked the IRS on several occasions and the IRS agent on the other end of the phone could not cite any cases of it happening.

Feb 25, 2007, 06:53 AM
    In my view, there is absolutely no reason that the IRS would not collect these taxes. The exemption applies only to nonresidents. To date, I think people have gotten away with it because it has happened not too often and has fallen through the cracks. Is the IRS catching on and will the situation change -- stay tuned.

As for misinforming the employer, there's no question that this is the case. Was it intentional - no - but it is still the reality that the taxpayer indicated to the employer that he would be a non-resident and that turned out not to be the case. If I were the employer, I would ask for the money and I believe that would hold water in a court of law.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2007, 10:32 AM
    TasSearcher:

I believe this is a case where we must agree to disagree.

Next case!

Feb 26, 2007, 12:18 PM
    First of all. In all common sense I would agree with AtlantaTaxExpert that IRS should not collect Social Security and Medicare for Entire year from me and holding me responsible for falling in love and getting married and not predicting the future in front of my employer.
    Secondly, I think you guys have had a great discussion but my original issue still remains unanswered which was in response to taxexpert's first answer:
    'If we want to file now i.e. not wait until June, under which category do we have to file? Can we still file as non resident married?? '

I think you guys know a lot and I was really hoping that you guys would be able to help me out here.

Thanks and Regards,
    Micky

Feb 26, 2007, 12:57 PM
    There's really no debate. Look at publication 519. It is very clear that for an F1 student FICA is not withheld but if the person is resident, FICA withholding should occur. It's a choice - you don't have to file as a resident but if you do, there is a cost.

Good luck.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Micky:

In my opinion, you should wait until June 2007, then file jointly with your wife as resident aliens.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax filing status if on H-1 since Oct 2006? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to U.S in July 2004 on F-1 visa and filed 1040NR-EZ for 2004 & 2005. I graduated in May 2006 and started my job on OPT from June 2006 until Oct 2006 and continued on H1-B after that since my approved H1-B visa started in Oct 2006. My questions are: 1. Do I file as a resident or...

No period since oct 28 2006 [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 21 yr old female that has one child and had regular periods in till oct 06 and I have not had a period since been to the doctor and they put me on provera and I still haven't had a period would this be early menopause or something wrong with my female organ please help!! I am worried

What Status should I file tax since my status changed from F1 to H1 from Oct 23 2006! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the following questions about filing for taxes for the yr 2006. 1. Since my visa status changed from F1 to H1 on oct 23rd 2006, what status should I file the taxes as & which form should I use? Till now I have used 1040nr ez! FYI : I am frm India, I have not left US from...

OPT from May 2006 to Jan 2006 [ 1 Answers ]

What type of Tax Form should I file? I am in the US under foreign student status, I filed 8843 for prior years. This year I had income and worked under my work authorization (OPT). What type of form should I fill this year? Thank you,

2006 tax: Jan-July Iowa F-1, August-Dec Texas OPT [ 1 Answers ]

My visa status (2006) is: (I'm single, never married) Jan-July, F-1, Iowa August-Dec, OPT, Texas (I'm expected to have the H1B issued by this fall) Q1: What kind of forms I have to work on? Q2: Is it true that I need 2 W-2 s, one from my old school in Iowa the other...

View more questions Search