Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    enmortenson1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2012, 07:53 AM
    false positive etg/ets urine test dr bill
    after completing 16 of 17 weeks in a outpatient treatment program and 18 successful urine screens for EtG-MS and EtS-MS, Avee Labs returned the following results.

EtG-MS lc/ms/ms positive (Quant Value - 546 ng/mL) (Creatine Normalized Value 250) (Cutoff - 500 ng/ML)

EtS-MS lc/ms/ms positive (Quant Value - 203 ng/mL) (Creatine Normalized Value 93) (Cutoff - 25 ng/ML)

this test showed was on a Tuesday and the prior Thursday, most recent rehab meeting, my test along with 18 others were negative.

I will take a polygraph that I didn't consume, ingest any alcohol, not one drop. I have a full timeline with children and other people who will also testify under oath and take polygraph that I didn't drink.

yet, the rehab center insists I am guilty especially because of the EtS score.

before the test I ate two slice of pizza and several cups of fountain root beer (Mug Rootbeer brand - soda). Could this sugar be causing it.

help?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2012, 09:16 AM
    All that can be determined from the values reported is that you were probably exposed to ethanol (EtOH) in very low quantity or that EtOH was produced endogenously (EE) by fermentation.

The very concept of this test is so flawed that it very well could be that the consumption of pizza (containing bakers yeast) and the simultaneous ingestion of sugar (via the root beer) could have created both EtG and EtS. This phenomenon has been demonstrated by Thierauf, 2010 see below. Please note that in this research the EtS created was 7x higher than your reading*.

There is also an article in a Legal Journal derived from a Massachsetts case.

Of course when dealing with these low-level findings the sources of possible incidental exposure range into the thousands. As you will note via another study by Thierauf (2009) these readings "are more likely to be incidental than intended" and likely to be created by as little as 1g of alcohol in your system.

Thierauf, A Forensic Sci Int. 2010 Oct 10;202(1-3)

Mass. Bar Association, Section Review Vol. 12 No. 3 2010 See p.5 and Reference 19.

Thierauf, et al Addiction. 2009 Dec;104(12):2007-12

*NOTE: European studies report quantity in mg/L as opposed to our system of ng/ml

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

EtG false positive question for Dr. Bill [ 2 Answers ]

Dr. Bill, I accidentally put on some sun screen today which had 77% denatured alcohol, I didn't have it on for more than 30 minutes before I realized what I had done and went to shower it off as fast I could. If I had a test tomorrow for etg/ets would I fail? Also, could you please tell me...

Will I test positive after 90 hours on an etg/ets [ 4 Answers ]

DrBill, I am a 5'4 130 lbs female. I had 3 shots and a 16oz beer on a Saturday night at my christmas party starting at 5 and ended at 9 along with a steak dinner( not sure if that matters). I had an etg/ets test through my pretrial supervisor on the following Wednesday at 6pm. Will I fail the...

Alcohol ets EtG false positive [ 5 Answers ]

Dr. Bill, I tested positive for alcohol but did not consume. The lab report indicates as follows: ETG negative (cutoff 500 ng/ml) ETS positive (cutoff 100 ng/ml) ETS level 120 Creatine 176.1 All else normal

View more questions Search