Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 4, 2012, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    That's one of the toughest parts of my job, even when I know beyond the shadow of a doubt it is the right thing to do.
    Owners often ask that I stand in for them because they just can't do it. MIne is the very last face they see, and I feel honored that they allow me this very last minute with a pet that I have no doubt looked after, sick or well for the majority of their life, if not all.
    I'm afraid another one of those days will be soon, and sadly it's dog I sit for also.
    What they don't know is I would have it no other way, every one at work knows that if is one of my patients, that I prefer to be the one helping them move on, so they naturally move over and let me do what I do.

Oh dear, now I gotta stop, cause my laptop is in jeopardy too.
    why did I start this slubber fest?
    Happy thoughts, happy thoughts

Sam, I have to say, after putting 2 dogs down 5 months apart, I can completely understand. When we took Indy in, we made the appointment to euthanize. He was 16 years old, a lab cross, and we knew him from the time he was 2 weeks old. Brought him home at 3 months. He was our first baby as a couple. He was born while we were on our honeymoon.

We had someone watch the kids, because I didn't want to put them through that, but both Rod and I agreed that we had to be there when the needle went in and he breathed his last breath. I've been present for so many animals leaving this world, but watching an animal, my baby, not a pet, but a member of the family, go through this, was the hardest thing I've ever done. But I couldn't leave. I had to be there. I wanted my face to be the last face he saw. I wanted my voice, telling him how much I love him, and how much joy he brought to us, to be the last voice he heard. I wanted him to know that we didn't do what we did because we were tired of him, but because we loved him. We still love him.

With Jasper it was different. We went to the vet that day hoping that they could save him, even though the last visit didn't yield a cure, or a healthy dog. We went there with guns blazing, and a list of things, from all of you, as suggestions as to why he was ill. When the vet said that none of the things I had in my 3 page letter where the issue, and that there really wasn't anything more she could do other than watch him die, we agreed that it was time to end his suffering.

Indy was hard, but with Indy we had time to realize it was time. With Jasper we went from having hope that he could be saved, to deciding it was time to end things. Still, both Rod and I were there until the very end. The last words I said to Jasper were "I love you, you are the best dog ever! You're such a good boy! Please know that I'm doing this because of my love for you. Know that, and go find Indy in heaven. Go pee on the rainbow bridge. Go, be young again, be pain free, and know that I'll never ever forget you".

Darnit. Happy thoughts. Happy thought. Happy thoughts.

There is one happy thought. Always makes me smile. Losing two, brought us another. Really, everything must happen for a reason. Even though I know that one day I will be writing that Rascal and Chewy passed away, I vow to enjoy every moment I have with them. After all, no dog will outlive you. Any dog you allow into your life, will one day break your heart by leaving this Earth all too soon. But, that doesn't stop you from loving again. If it did, there never would have been a Rascal. Heck, there wouldn't have been an Indy, Jasper, or Chewy. I would have stopped at Silver. But each and ever one of those fur babies changed my life for the better. I regret nothing.

Here's one of my happy thoughts.

Name:  new 003.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  71.7 KB

By the way, that little bugger has doubled in size in the last month, and on Saturday he got his second set of puppy shots. The vet says that he looks great, and she's a bit smitten with him. :)
    TeresaM Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2012, 09:34 AM
    Oh wow as I was reading this I looked at the date. I wanted to go and steal the dogs away. Poor things! I can't stand to hear stuff like this. It kills me. Good job to those that reported her!!
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 9, 2012, 09:58 AM
    Yes, the authorities did great job on this one, they get their props from me.
    Thankfully they are cracking down in my state.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2012, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Yes, the authorities did great job on this one, they get their props from me.
    Thankfully they are cracking down in my state.

There should be a test about dogs before someone hands you one. Irresponsible pet owners all over the place. In my area rescues do a home study first, before placing a dog - is it that way where you are? I have considerable experience (and I used to foster and work for a not-for-profit rescue) with difficult dogs and have been disheartened by the number of "rescues" that simply look for homes, not educated homes, not educated owners, just homes.

I mentioned that I took the dog first aid course about 3 weeks ago. The various other people taking the course as well as the instructors had horror stories. It was sort of preaching to the choir but I suppose it's necessary. With just a couple of exceptions my dogs have come from private rescues, so I'm not really in touch with rescues/SPCA in my area.

I know Alty REALLY knows her stuff - and I was shocked at the number of rabbits in my local shelter. Shocked - I think there 10 from 8 different home. Were they all Easter gifts gone bad? I don't know. I had no idea so many people "get" rabbits and then tire of them.

I was told that the Christmas rejects are starting to come in. I'm signed up to do instructor training and we'll see how that goes.

And, yes, everybody who sees abuse or mistreatment or anything in between needs to report it.

Good job, as usual - look forward to your posts.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 10, 2012, 07:20 PM
    It varies a little, and I'm only referring to my county here. Our humane Society is good but they don't have the manpower to do a lot of home visits, I do know of a few follow-up home visits.
    They do have a lengthy questionnaire and are required to show proof of vet care for previous animals. I've seen their questionnaire and it is pretty detailed.
    No animal is adopted out unless spayed/neutered, unless it is too young.
    They sign a contract agreeing to spay/neuter or relinquish the animal.
    I actually have a good deal of respect for our Humane Society and know of at least one instance of them rejecting an application, a puppy that I sent them that my son found.
    I can't remember the exact reason, I do remember it was something minor.
    That can't be the only one turned down I'm sure.
    I've got horror stories about some of the "rescues" here I'll not go into.
    I have a hard time not calling them hoarders.
    But there are some good private rescues too, and we have our share of fosters that bring their foster dogs in and pick up the tab, just so the group can put that money elsewhere.
    I just wish that while peoples hearts were in the right place, they would think about their finances before they took on so many strays, rescues, shelter pulls, etc.

You're instructing the first aid course?
    That's a great idea, we've done some safety training at community events but
    I've not heard of any first aid training here, but something that would benefit not only our clients, but the community.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dreams are so upsetting,I need to know the meaning [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my partner split up for 2 weeks and in that time he was sending explicit texts to the girl he works with,they even kissed on the lips once. We since then got back together,well as soon as I found the texts.since then I have this recurring dream that he is leaving me for her.and I mean they...

Ex husband upsetting daughter [ 4 Answers ]

Hi this is my first time on this board so I hope I have posted in the right place. My problem is my ex husband has accused my daughter of stealing some money from his step son. He spoke to her on the phone about it and frightened her and I had her in tears all evening. Now she is saying she never...

Workday function [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have a problem with the workday function. I have used it so that the formula adds 10 workings days onto the date in the previous cell. The formula I have used is =WORKDAY(I17,10) the formula works fine when I have it on my spreadsheet. But when I have transferred it to other computers...

Upsetting info, but need to make a decision [ 12 Answers ]

So my ex (of almost 3 years) broke up with me about 5 weeks ago. There weren't very substantial reasons at the time as to why she did it, other than saying she was "unhappy". We recently met for the first time and things went well but said we shouldn't jump back into a relationship and need to at...

View more questions Search