Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deedee7146 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Info needed on starting up?
    I would like to start my own business. I should say cookie business. I am currently a Data Analyst in Rhode Island. I would like to have something for myself and enjoy it. I am not afraid of hard work or long hours and also I realize that I should start from my home and see how it goes. Having never owned a business before I would love input on how to start? I would like to design a web site and start with that, is that the way to go? I have just started researching something’s and found this website.

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Forget the WEB site for now. That's not going to mean much to a cookie business.

As for starting your home, are you talking about baking the cookies or just reselling? You need to check zoning and other regs for RI. Certain businesses would not be allowed to run from a home.

What you need to do is make samples and go around to local stores and find buyers. Then build your rep so you get more customers.

I would recommend using the resources of score.org and sba.gov
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Feb 23, 2007, 02:09 PM
    My only experience of business is watching shows and documentaries about them, but everyone seems to agree on six things:

1. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER go into business with a friend or relative.

2. Choose a business that you have a passion for.

3. Know your market! Chances are, someone already makes or provides whatever you are selling better, bigger and cheaper; and if not, there may be a good reason for avoiding it.

4. Location.

5. Location.

6. Location. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need some info [ 3 Answers ]

Hello; What website , can I go 2 , for senior citizens . Thank you Joseph21

Anyone have info on NAET [ 1 Answers ]

Wondering if anyone has any info or experience with an allergy elimination technique which goes by NAET? (Think it stands for Nambudipad's Allergy Elimination Technique). A friend, who is very informed about alternative medicine, recommended it for some problems with severe allergies. Sounds...

Court order info needed [ 2 Answers ]

Im On Intence Probation If A Judge Court Ordered Curtisy Supervision In Another County But A Probation Officer In The County Where I Was Sentenced Just Hit Me With 6 Violations Can She Do That Can She Violate A Court Order

View more questions Search