Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danniejoy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2012, 02:32 PM
    Adoption papers/birth mother
    Paper work was never finalized, however the birth mother has not been in contact with the child since he was an infant. Is it legal for the adoptive party to seek child support?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 2, 2012, 02:45 PM
    What do you mean by adoptive party? Do you have legal custody of the child? Why wasn't the adoption completed? Was the mother told of this?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 2, 2012, 06:39 PM
    If the would-be adopting parent(s) have physical custody of the child, they should be entitled to get an award of chid support from the mother (as well as the father, by the way).
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 2, 2012, 06:58 PM
    The turn around on that, though, is that if you go after the birthparents for child support because they are still the legal parent, they can then seek permanent custody of the child. If you are not related biologically, you may have no right after that to anything more than an occasional visit.

WHY wasn't the adoption paperwork completed? It's unlikely that the TPR was official unless the adoption was completed, as well.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 2, 2012, 07:26 PM
    "TPR" = "termination of parental rights", a necessary step for adoption in many cases.

May 3, 2012, 07:29 AM
    I am the birth mother. Its complicated.

May 3, 2012, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    The turn around on that, though, is that if you go after the birthparents for child support because they are still the legal parent, they can then seek permanent custody of the child. If you are not related biologically, you may have no right after that to anything more than an occasional visit.

WHY wasn't the adoption paperwork completed? It's unlikely that the TPR was official unless the adoption was completed, as well.
    I am the birth mother. The fraternal grandmother was the one who wanted to adopt my son. She made all kinds of promises to me while I was pregnant and because I was vulnerable and gullible I never got anything in writing. She promised also to follow through with the adoption papers and I stupidly waited. Thank you for your answer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 3, 2012, 08:19 AM
    So where is the child now? And how old is the child?

If the birth mother has made no contact with the child, then she may have trouble regaining custody. On the other hand, if the grandparents go after you for support, I would go into court and that you were young and naïve and didn't understand the laws. That you know better now and want to raise your child.

Assuming of course, that's what you want. If it sin't then you tell the court that you agreed to the adoption and don't know why the papers haven't been finalized. And you stand read y to go ahead with it.

May 3, 2012, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    So where is the child now? And how old is the child?

If the birth mother has made no contact with the child, then she may have trouble regaining custody. On the other hand, if the grandparents go after you for support, I would go into court and that you were young and naive and didn't understand the laws. That you know better now and want to raise your child.

Assuming of course, that's what you want. If it sin't then you tell the court that you agreed to the adoption and don't know why the papers haven't been finalized. And you stand read y to go ahead with it.
    Thank you for your answer! I do not wish to regain custody, I feel that would be damaging to both the child and myself. He is now 6 years old. I haven't had any contact with the child or the rest of the family since the child was a few months old. I have very low income and a fix budget. I will tell the judge of my intent to finalize the adoption. My next question would be, does the county they live in have the right to go forward with child support orders without contacting me? You see, I only know of the grandmothers intent due to 1. The postal service left a letter to them (the letter was addressed to the postmaster) in my mail box regarding my whereabouts and 2. my boss was contacted by the county for my pay rate and hours. So I am left wondering how to prevent an order for child support going through without having a chance to defend myself...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 3, 2012, 10:32 AM
    If the grandparents applied for public assistance then its possible the state is looking to be reimbursed by you. I would contact the case worker and tell them it was your understanding you gave the child up for adoption.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 3, 2012, 10:39 AM
    What EXACTLY did you sign? Any adoption also required the consent of the father, by the way.

May 4, 2012, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    What EXACTLY did you sign? Any adoption also required the consent of the father, by the way.

I signed temporary orders.
    Is it possible to relinquish my rights even if the father doesn't? This has been a very painful experience for me and I really do not wish to engage with it further. Relinquishing my rights seems to be the right thing to do.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 4, 2012, 11:55 AM
    You cannot relinquish your rights until someone is ready/able to adopt the child. You, for example, cannot relinquish if the father will not.

I'm surprised that you haven't been taken to Court for child support IF there has been no adoption.

May 4, 2012, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You cannot relinquish your rights until someone is ready/able to adopt the child. You, for example, cannot relinquish if the father will not.

I'm surprised that you haven't been taken to Court for child support IF there has been no adoption.

After your answer I did some investigating, I have found out that the child is not where we all agreed he would be. He is in fact with the father. I have looked into findind a lawyer. I have no further questions Thank you for your time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights of birth mother after step parent adoption [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have been going through a really tough time with our 11 year old son (I legally adopted my stepson). We have been dealing with behavioral issues for years now and they just seem to be getting worse as he gets older. My husband and I have been together for 10 years so our son was a...

How old do you have to be to see your birth mother in a closed adoption [ 2 Answers ]

Iam 15 years old I found my mother and one of my brothers in my biological family but I want to know why she tells me she will never lie to me and says its not a closed adoption and my mother here tells me it is and when I tell her (its not a closed adoption is it) she pauses and says yes it is...

An adoption papers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Me and my husband getting divorced after 3 months I gave birth to our son. He never wanted this baby and he doesn't want him in the future. While my boyfrend want to take all responsobilitys and be father for my son. What is the best way to make my boyfriend my sons father legally. What legal...

The legality of the birth mother signing adoption papers under the influence of crack [ 3 Answers ]

Is an adoption legal in the state of Florida if the birth mother signed papers giving her son to the child's stepmother while under the influence of crack cocaine? My sisiter was told that she would be given back the child once she became clean and sober. The reason the stepmother said she wanted...

Adoption papers [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Arkansas. The adopting couple (of my beautiful little girl) live in Ohio. Can I sign the adoption papers here in Arkansas, or do I have to go up there?

View more questions Search