Ask
    hardeeboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2012, 01:58 PM
    AC unit icing
    AC coil freezing what would cause this and how do I fix
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 2, 2012, 03:19 PM
    Not an AC person, but Clogged filter or coils, I believe low pressure.
    Couple of good AC people here can provide additional info.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2012, 07:40 AM
    Your inside coils are blocked with dirt. You will have to slide out the blower and clean the fan blades and you will have to spray coil cleaner (liquid sodium hydroxide) on the coils and clean with an electric pressure washer (1500 psi). On smaller units 2 1/2 tons or below you can use a water hose sprayer. It's a messy job, but it's the only way to fix the problem. If you were an HVAC mechanic you could remove the coils and pressure wash them. You will need to clean out the drain line, too. Make sure to clean outside unit, too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can icing over cause damage to the outdoor coil fins in an old unit? [ 1 Answers ]

I live where there is no snow and the unit has easy drainage. Temps get into the 30's.

A/C Icing Over [ 2 Answers ]

Our window unit's grill freezes over at least once/day. I have continually cleaned the filter, and gave the grill the time to thaw and dry. But still it happens. ??

Icing Dehumidifier [ 2 Answers ]

Why do the condensing coils on the dehumidifier ice up? This unit is in my basement and I can feel humidity and dampness is present. The unit is set to the #3 position on the dial.

Hvac Icing [ 1 Answers ]

Have an Electric Furnace/Heatpump. With central air. Replaced Electric Furnace in Sept. Today my tenant said that the 10 year old outside heat pump grates get "Iced" . Heat works OK, but sometimes have to turn it up to 72 or 73 degrees They say they always change the filter. When the new...

Icing up [ 1 Answers ]

I turned the A/C on for the first time this season and the unit iced up. This is a heat pump and it worked fine during the heating season. Could it just be low on freon? Any other sugestions?

View more questions Search