Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wunu Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2012, 07:27 AM
    How do I know how much power comes into my building?
    I want to install a sub panel so that I can add some outlets and a clothes dryer into my workshop building. However, I do not know how to tell how much power is supplied from the utility pole into the building. I don't want to overload the system. I will also be adding a hot water heater but the original panel has the space for that. I currently have a 100amp panel and want to add another 100 amp panel in the hopes that as my workshop and abilities grow, I will be ready for that growth electrically speaking.
    I have a licensed electrician who is willing to check my work as I go, but I am hesitant to get the power company involved if I don't have to.
    Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Diana
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 2, 2012, 07:35 AM
    You cannot tell what the power utility has available. Even your electrician will not be able to know.

The utility sizes their system is based on derated values of the load submitted when the service was first connected.

When new load is added, the utility is to be consulted so they can determine if they need to upgrade something on their end.

You also need to be concerned with adding more load to your 100 amp service.
    Wunu Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2012, 07:51 AM
    Curses! Thank you. I just realized too that I probably can't run a 100amp sub from a 100amp panel. That's 200 if everything is running and the first panel will likely trip. Is that correct?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 2, 2012, 08:34 AM
    Correct. Have your electrician size up your new panel and if the existing panel needs to be upgraded.

If the service is upgraded, and/or if you are adding load, you need to consult with your utility.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 2, 2012, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wunu View Post
    Curses! Thank you. I just realized too that I probably can't run a 100amp sub from a 100amp panel. That's 200 if everything is running and the first panel will likely trip. Is that correct?
    Actually, no.

It is still a 100A service, just with a 100A sub-panel. You do not add up the breakers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am running 100 -150 feet of underground wire for power to a outdoor building. [ 15 Answers ]

What size wire do I need for 100-150 feet for power to outdoor building. I want 220v at least 55amps to building. When I get into building I want 110 for swithces for lights and a couple of 110 outlets for drills and such

What does a building manager charge for on call serices for a condo building? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been asked by a property management company what I would charge to a condo board for on call resolve to building maintenance problems, noise complaints etc. They want to be charged per issue. Some things would require going on site to meet the trades and some issues could be resolved by...

Building a Custom Power Strip [ 12 Answers ]

Here’s what I want to do: I am basically making my own power strip. I want to control each outlet with its own switch. I want to use an extension cord for my wiring by pulling out the wire. What do I run to each screw? Please see the pictures for the details. If the pictures are confusing, let...

View more questions Search