Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notsure35 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 06:33 PM
    I'm an addict and my husband and I are talking divorce now... ugh... now what?
    Well I've been an addict for about 6yrs now and I've put him through hell and back and I'm so sorry for it but we can't live like this anymore. I want things to improve or we just need to get on with it.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 2, 2012, 06:55 AM
    I can't tell you 'what now?' without knowing what you are already doing to fix yourself. Are you getting help? Are you still feeding your addiction or are you rehabilitating?

Is he willing to attend marriage counseling with you? Has he thought about attending support groups for family members of addicts? Are there children involved? Does he need to think about protecting them?

Just wanting things to improve isn't going to do anything unless you make a move to fix them. It all starts with you working on yourself.

If you both still love each other and want the relationship to survive, legal separation while you work on getting healthy might be a compromise. If he is ready to let go and move forward with his life, then I suggest both of you talk to lawyers. Your marriage isn't going to survive without a lot of exhaustingly hard work and you are going to have to do it without falling back into old patterns. Can you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband is an addict and wants me to sleep with other men [ 10 Answers ]

I've been married for a little over 6yrs and I am just NOW beginning to learn about my husband's sexual fantasies! Over the past few months, I have discovered that he is addicted to cocaine. I'm not sure if drugs have to do with him opening up and expressing his sexual desires but I feel like...

How can I leave my drug addict Husband? [ 6 Answers ]

I feel stupid. i've been married 4 years but it seems longer. My husband is a drug user. Every time i get paid, he goes into my account and takes money. He pretends he is going to change and uses me every time he has no money, place to stay or eat. i've tried to kick him out but the law says we...

Can a drug addict husband entitled for an alimony? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband is a drug addictand has been in and out of rehab. We will be celebrating our 1st year wedding anniverasy next month. Since we got married he was only sober for 9 months. Lately, he has been in and out of rehab. He lost his job because of his behavior changes and is getting...

Husband is a sex and drug addict [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone can tell me why addicts are so freaking selfish? My (soon to be ex) husband is a meth/coke crack addict (smokes it) and apparently a sex addict. I recently found out he was screwing around on me before we were even married a year. (and I had no clue as we worked opposite...

By brand new Christian husband the coke addict [ 6 Answers ]

For background, see my other post "marraige in shambles". I believe my husband got hooked up (found his dope connection) right after the wedding last July by a guy who works for, but not necessarily goes to, our church, an ex-gangbanger from Compton to whom our pastor gave a job. I believe this...

View more questions Search