Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anghas3boys Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 06:05 PM
    We have a link of dirty water,kitchen waste water from the ceiling in our basement.
    The drip comes from the heating/ac vent in the basement ceiling about four feet from where the kitchen sink is above. The area under the sink in the kitchen is dry. The drip only occurs when the kitchen sink has been running but doesn't start until some minutes have passed and lasts after the water has been turned off. About a 1/4 of water accumulates in the bucket I have catching it, so some water is escaping in the waste pipe, but some is leaking from the pipe. Any thoughts on how to find the actual leak?

Thanks!
    Angela

May 1, 2012, 06:06 PM
    I meant a "leak". :)
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 1, 2012, 06:19 PM
    The only real way is to cut an access hole or two in the ceiling and look for the leak.

May 1, 2012, 06:32 PM
    Is it more likely to be at a joint? Or can the pipes rust through at any point along the way?
    Uber Member

May 1, 2012, 08:48 PM
    If the drain line is cast iron it can leak anywhere. If plastic -PVC -it is usually at a joint but could also be a crack. Lots of possibility so that is why your need to open the ceiling.

May 1, 2012, 09:32 PM
    Thanks very much. It is definitely a cast iron pipe. The house is 100 years old.
    Uber Member

May 2, 2012, 05:44 AM
    Rather than trying to patch it, replace with PVC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have water leaking in above the ceiling in kitchen? [ 2 Answers ]

Above the kitchen is a window to the bathroom. When it is wind driven rain it takes a while but then comes in at a steady pace. After removing the ceiling above, the exposed metal joist is rusted along with the wood underneath. The water is coming in where the addition meets the bricks, but the...

My dishwasher won't empty of dirty water since I have it refitted by the kitchen fitte [ 3 Answers ]

My dishwasher was working just fine until I had my new kitchen,the dishwasher is always full of cloudy water at the end of each cycle,the kittchen fitters are saying its broken ,but it seems more like aplumbing problem to me

Dirty water in basement of City home [ 2 Answers ]

Hi can anyone tell me if the City I, live in is responsible for dirty toilet water that comes back up in my basement, my husband has snaked it out and I've had a plumber out who says that the line is clear. I'm hoping it a city problem

Water leaking through kitchen ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

We live in military housing. The buildings are old, old enough to have had boiler rooms when they were first built. When we moved in the bathtub would take an hour to drain even 1/4 of the water from the tub. We tried everything ourselves then called housing and had them come fix it... the water...

View more questions Search