Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rwdfixingit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 05:24 PM
    Glacier bay faucets
    I just installed a glacier bay 10" goose neck kitchen faucet and when it sits more than 5 minutes it has aquick water hammer on both sides. M y question is what makes this happen?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 2, 2012, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rwdfixingit View Post
    I just installed a glacier bay 10" goose neck kitchen faucet and when it sits more than 5 minutes it has aquick water hammer on both sides. M y question is what makes this happen?
    Your air chambers need recharging.
    "Water hammer" happens when you abruptly shut off the water. You have at least 40 pounds of pressure pushing the water flow. The weight of the water hitting a 90 degree bend causes the sound that you hear. We put in air chambers to cushion the hammer much like the shocks on your car.
    Back in the 60's we were required to to put air chambers on all bath lavatories and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is important.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will began to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them in a two bath home. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back.
    You have just recharged your air chambers and saved yourself a hefty service call bill. Hope this helps you out and thank you for rating my reply. TOM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glacier bay faucets [ 3 Answers ]

I have a glacier Bay shower faucet and cannot find a replacement handle.

Glacier bay faucets [ 0 Answers ]

Kitchen faucet is leaking at the base of the spout. How do I remove the base to see if something is loose? It is leaking right where the faucet turns from side to side. Leaking so badly that it is ruining under my sink! Help

Glacier bay faucets [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Glacier Bay Pull out spray type kitchen faucets that is always cutting off the flow of water how can this be fixed

Glacier bay faucets [ 0 Answers ]

I need replacement parts for cartridge style hot water side bath room half turn faucet.I 've tried Home Depot,Lowe's,Bogan Supply?I've been told I'll need to replace the entire faucet/complete.ANY SUGGESTIONS

Glacier bay faucets [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two handle Gracier Bay Kitchen faucet only four years old. Although I have changed the two washers, it still leaks. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search