Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Goaldielocks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 12:02 PM
    How much settling is normal in a new house?
    I was wondering how much settling can be expected in a new home. We've been in our home for 1.5 years. These past few months I have been noticing cracking in ceiling joints, plaster cracking where ceiling meets walls, popping, creeking etc. Can this be normal? Do I just patch and hope for the best?
    In addition we now have water leaking down our living room wall (ice dam I've been told). Is the builder liable for any of this? (we're in Maine) I know nothing about construction so any info would help... Thanks!
    :confused:
    jski5569 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Goaldielocks
    I was wondering how much settling can be expected in a new home. We've been in our home for 1.5 years. These past few months I have been noticing cracking in ceiling joints, plaster cracking where ceiling meets walls, popping, creeking etc. Can this be normal? Do I just patch and hope for the best?
    In addition we now have water leaking down our living room wall (ice dam I've been told). Is the builder liable for any of this? (we're in Maine) I know nothing about construction so any info would help...Thanks!
    Settling and shrinkage is very normal in new construction,especially after a winter season after the heat has dryed everything out.There is a lot of moisture in a new home caused by fresh wood (even kiln dryed) Drywall mud,Paint etc.Most of the shrinkage should be gone after the first or second winter heating cycle.
    Ice damming is caused by constant thawing and freezing and is not a contractor problem,I have an area of my roof that has ice damming because it only gets sunlight for a couple hours during the day,which melts the snow or ice,but then quickly freezes again causing the ice to push up under the shingles.Most contractors try to prevent this by using ice and water shield under the shingles 18 - 24 inches up the roof.This does not always prevent it.
    Hope this answered your question.
    jujubrose Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Well lets see here. Settling in a new home should be very little. Your home will with the change of seasons expand and shrink. You will notice these cracks around the corners and the ceiling mouldings. If you live in an area of the country where there is a lot of clay the ground will rise and fall with the temp. Even a telephone pole or pipe stuck in the ground in areas of the country where are large amounts of clay will do the same. You live in a area of the country where they do not build to many houses on conv. Foundations anymore so your home is most likely on a monolithic slab where if you did get a lot of settling it would mean the slab has large cracks in it.

If your house is on conventional foundation it will settle more and one side of the house may become lower than the other. But their should be more than enough piers under it to stop any moving. Houses settle over time due to changes in the underlying soil and rock and the movement of water beneath your house. If it wasn't back filled properly the water will move beneath the back fill and wash it away. Especially if clay is present.

Do not worry about corner cracks or ceiling cracks unless they are moving diagonally across the ceiling or walls these will be settlement cracks diagonal cracks will be broken foundation cracks cause for extreme worry and quick repair.

As far as leaks down the walls crawl up in your attic and see if you can see where the water is coming from. In a lot of areas of the country even areas where it rains a lot and snows a lot it is no longer code to install felt paper under shingles. It may be as simple as a hole. If your attic is dark and the sun is bright you will see all of the holes. You will be surprised at all of the holes. They use toe boards a lot and nail them right through new shingles when removed there is a hole. Most of the time there is no damning except the person crawling up to look for a leak then you will say damn. It is just a mater of how much money you want to spend. You can look or pay someone to they will not look as good as you would. They do not care about your money like you do.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Feb 26, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Goaldielocks
    In addition we now have water leaking down our living room wall (ice dam I've been told). Is the builder liable for any of this? (we're in Maine) I know nothing about construction so any info would help...Thanks!
    Wow. Being from California, I never seen an ice dam other in the Tahoe high country. There are gutter heaters that melt ice along the eaves. It really depends on the roof pitch and drain design. That's a tough one. As far as the settling of a new home, the moisture can be a major cause in both framing and soil conditions. That should be taken a look at by a professional to see where the degradation can be halted. Deep snow is harsh on stickframe construction and with run-off in the spring.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 19, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Normal Cracks Will Be Found Above Your Doors And Windows That Will Be Just Hair Line Crack Or Slightly Bigger, If You Can Put A Thick Pencil It The Crack There Is Alitte More Going On. You May Notice You Doors Hitting At The Tops, Or The Door Margins May Be Bigger On One Side
    This Is All Normal In That First Few Years But Should Slow Up After That.
    All These Have Quick Fixes.
    Hope This Helps, Nichols Trim And Carpentry
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 19, 2007, 08:30 PM
    Just a guess

Did they build your house's foundation BELOW the freeze line?
    If not every time the water in the ground freezes and thaws this will shift the foundation.

I hope this is not the case. Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Normal breaker size in house [ 1 Answers ]

What is a normal breaker size ? And how many runs can you have off one breaker ?

Settling under driveway [ 2 Answers ]

I have an area at the edge of our concrete driveway that has settled So that we can see a 2 inch gap about 5 feet diameter below our Driveway. The concrete is reinforced with steel, but I am concerned About driving over this side of the driveway. Is there a good way to Fill in this area...

Foundation problems or settling? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with cracks appearing in the walls of my house. I have lived here for about two years, and when we first moved in there were no cracks in the walls. Now there are a lot. Most walls are plaster, and the house was built in 1927. Any help would be...

Is This Normal [ 2 Answers ]

]I thought I was pregnant until I received my period so I guess my question is can you have a menstrual cycle while being pregnant?

Settling an argument. [ 3 Answers ]

Had a somewhat heated discussion about the side effects of a plumber using muratic acid to clean a drainage pipe (clogged by washer discharge, mostly). I maintain that this is tempting to use but could cause damage to the pipes leading to some fairly serious repair work. Do plumbers actually resort...

View more questions Search