Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scott denton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 01:42 AM
    Can short term disability be garnished?
    Have full time job but on short term disability for 1-2 months so will be getting pd my base pay but no incentive during that period. In 1997 GMAC repoed my Grand AM & wanted balance in full. I was unable to comply so GMAC turned the acct. over to a law firm. This law firm garnished my wages. In 2010 the garnishment stopped altogether so I assumed it had been satisfied. Last week received letter from same law firm saying I still owe $1900.00 & they will garnish me again if I don't comply. I'm assuming they waited 2 yrs to contact me again to acrue more interest. I admit I did create the original problem & thought I had learned a lesson & had become more diligent with my life & now this raises it's ugly head again. I can make payments when I'm back to work but money is tight until then. Can my short term disability be garnished? I have no depenents. I rent not own($475 per mo.). I have transportation with a loan through the bank which will be pd off in 3 more yrs. Bank note is $400 a month. I have many medical bills due to COPD & those payments are approx. $500 per month but it varies. Utilities are approx. $400 per mo. I live in Page County in Ia. I have a high school diploma & I'm 51 yrs old. Thank you for any help you can give me!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 1, 2012, 04:59 AM
    Yes, short term disability in MOST CASES can be garnished. SS Disability is protected. Other forms are not.

You can always try to negotiate - I'm sure you realize you made several mistakes. One of them was not knowing if the judgment was paid in full or not. I doubt the judgment was kept open in order to collect more interest. I would guess it's either an accounting error OR it was paid in full and someone has made a misake this time around.

The only way to know is to ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income tax question short term disability pregnancy [ 5 Answers ]

My wife got state short term disability payments(NY) due to child birth. She received 2 W2s. A standard one from her employer. And a second one for "Supplemental W2 Disability Benefits". Say her total benefits were $1000(for illustration only) Now here is the issue: Her standard W2...

Denied short term disability pay. What now? [ 1 Answers ]

I live and am employed in Illinois. In early July I suffered severe anxiety attacks and depression, including paranoia brought on by extreme insomnia. I was physically unable to go to work and mentally unable to perform my duties even were it possible for me to get to work. I went to the...

Social security taxes for short term disability [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have been out on short term disability for the past 3 months. I have been receiving checks from a third party provider that my company pays the on. They have been taking out all the taxes for each pay check including social security. Today I received my bonus check which deducted out the...

Short Term Disability [ 5 Answers ]

I had neck surgery in August 2007 and will be out of work until Feb. 2008. I received five checks from the insurance company, then they called and stated they had made a mistake and I was NOT eligible for short term disability. Now they want the money back. Of course I have used the money to pay...

View more questions Search