Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mystery Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Literary thesis
    I have to write an essay about the relevance or significance of obsession in Edgar Allen Poe's “The fall of the house of usher”, and Nathaniel Hawthorn's “the birthmark”.

I don't know how to make it into an argument and how to avoid summarising the story?

Help with the thesis please?!

Oh and this is a university level paper
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Feb 24, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mystery
    i have to write an essay about the relevance or significance of obsession in Edgar Allen Poe's “The fall of the house of usher”, and Nathaniel Hawthorn's “the birthmark”.

i dont kno how to make it into an argument and how to avoid summarising the story?

help with the thesis please?!!

oh and this is a university level paper
    If you are writing university level papers you will need to use capitals when required, and also use correct orthography. Careless work will be frowned upon and returned for correction,

You must isolate examples of obsession in each story and, unless the rubric directs you do do otherwise, merely demonstrate their presence. Argument may only be necessary in disputed incidents, such as what you believed to be evidence of obsession, where other essayists had interpreted it as something else. Sometimes the evidence will speak so loudly that all that is necessary is a summation of examples, leading inexorably - or otherwise - to a simple conclusion.

For example, Hawthorne's The Birthmark examines the obsession of human perfection. Georgiana, the beautiful woman in the story has a single hand-shaped birthmark on her cheek. Men are invariably attracted to Georgiana, and many find the birthmark attractive. However, her husband Aylmer, a scientist, is revolted at the sight of the birthmark. Eventually Georgiana comes to share his obsession, and the couple decides to try to remove the birthmark. Aylmer takes Georgiana to his laboratory, where he is assisted by his assistant Aminadab.

On Poe, see, for example, The Poe Decoder - I Have Found It!

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Challenging Thesis [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone Expain what it means to list 3 to 5 sub-claims to support a thesis? Thanks, New member, zenapeanut

Thesis Statement [ 1 Answers ]

How do I write a good thesis statement for a topic on green house effect?

Thesis [ 1 Answers ]

Create 4 thesis statement by taking different position about employee privacy rigths in the work place.:confused:

Thesis statement [ 1 Answers ]

I need a thesis statement for anti abortion. I want to catch the readers anttention, so it should be interesting. Thanks

Pay Literary Agent's editor for many rewrites? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello... a friend of mine sent his manuscript to a literary agent. This agent wants to send the manuscript to THEIR EDITORS who will let them know if the manuscript needs SUBSTANTIAL RE-WRITES.(YOU HAVE TO PAY THEM $80)... If the manuscript needs substantial re-writes, the author pays for it...

View more questions Search