Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babitaj39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2012, 02:31 AM
    What to do for my 20 year old son as he is in depression
    My 20 year old son is in his low mood & is not sharing the things exactly happens with him since about two months . I have consult the psychiatrist but he could not talk the dr. about his feelings . I am much worried about my son , only the medi. Is started but his behaviour is not like an engineering student. He is a bright student of third year but is not cope up with the situation . What should I do that make him happy.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 30, 2012, 03:16 AM
    Where are you located, and does he live at home while in school?
    You say 'since 2 months.' You have no idea what started the depression?
    Psychiatrists rarely do talk therapy anymore because insurance doesn't cover it. They just prescribe medication after a brief talk about what is going on. It's not surprising that your son didn't say anything. He needs a talk therapist.
    Hopefully he has a situational depression related to some event, like unrequited love, or being involved in a tragedy. A broader depression might be realizing that he doesn't want to be an engineer, or that he's gay. (Just examples, could be anything!)
    In any case, a good therapist should help a lot.
    If he is depressed for no known reason, even after some talk therapy, then you take it from there (possible slow developing psychosis), but that is much more rare, so PLEASE don't anticipate or dwell on that. Try to remain hopeful. And know that medication rarely works all by itself. The therapy is vital.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is depression common in the first year of University? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am nineteen years old and am currently nearing the end of my first year at university. I attended a boarding school before university and had a very close-knit group of friends. Since being at university I have found it difficult to get out of bed in the mornings, despite being given a...

My 4 year old has signs of ANXIETY and Depression [ 7 Answers ]

My daughter is 4 and 4 months. She recently was moved from the 3's to the 4's in preschool and we have been having problems ever since. The other students started 6 months ago and her teacher is pressuring her to catch up with the other kids in writing/math and reading skills. My daughter cries...

Depression in 12-year-old son [ 16 Answers ]

My son has been exhibiting signs of depression noticed by myself and his teachers at school (lack of interest, irritable, appetite loss, sad). He also recognizes it in himself. It started about 2 months ago. Both sides of our family have a history of depression. Would it be in his best interest...

Depression in 2 year old? [ 2 Answers ]

My two year old daughter has changed completely since I brought home her little brother. There is 2 years between them. She was never a big eater but now I can't get her to eat anything... She gets extremely upset when her brother crys ( who is 5 months now).. leaves the room when I talk to her...

21 year old son with depression [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to this site , but I am looking for help for my son. My son is 21 years old he has been in college for 3 years and at 3 different Universities. I love him and we use to be very close. Each time he moved from a University it was a move up with outstanding GPA. He is now attending...

View more questions Search