Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scruzin65 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2012, 01:24 PM
    Writing a letter to someone in foster care
    My grandaughter is in foster care she was 3 and now she will be 9 or 10,I found out she has not yet been adopted,I tried to reach the foster care agency they told me she wasn't ready to see famly yet,I was told to write her a letter,how would I even start a letter to her I haven't seen her since she was 3,
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2012, 01:27 PM
    I'd start by telling her who you are, that you've thought about her over the years, you've wondered how she is, she like dogs or kittens or something and does she and you hope she'll write back.

I'd keep it short and sweet, nothing that will upset her.

What do you want your letter to accomplish?

Apr 27, 2012, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'd start out by telling her who you are, that you've thought about her over the years, you've wondered how she is, she like dogs or kittens or something and does she and you hope she'll write back.

I'd keep it short and sweet, nothing that will upset her.

What do you want your letter to accomplish?
    I guess I want her to know that her grandma has never stopped looking for her and I would like to reunite and possibley adopt her,we used to be real close.I took care of her for most her life.And I am the one who turned her into the foster care system,I had no choice it was either take her to the streets with me or give her to someone who can take care of her,her mother was in jail and got her rights taken away.It was the worst day of my life
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2012, 09:12 AM
    I realize you are well intended but you didn't care for her for most of her life - she's now 9 and has been in foster care since she was 3.

I realize how painful this is for you, but you have to be realistic. You are a stranger to the child now. If you make promises about possibly adopting her, reuniting with her, anything else, the letters will not be delivered to her.

You need to reintroduce yourself, keep it light, not explain, just make contact.

(I spoke with my sister, a Social Worker in the "system," about this and this is her advice. If your letter upsets the child you will not be allowed any further contact. What attempts have you made to visit or stay in touch since the time she was put into foster care?)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 28, 2012, 09:34 AM
    PLEASE take the advice given, practically word for word, regardless of what you really want to say. Not only will the letter not get to her and you may lose your chance, but a 9 year old can't comprehend what you said you want to say.
    How about buying a Disney card, like The Little Mermaid (is that Disney?) or MuLan, a girl card. That way your note can be super short. Or a graduation card, even if it isn't an important year. Or a blank card with kittens and puppies as suggested, and asking if she has any pets or wants to someday.

Apr 29, 2012, 01:44 PM
    I haven't made any attemps as of yet to see her I have tried to call the home but haven't gotten any response,I also e-mailed and said I was interested in Kyli,I did receive an e-mail givibg me the socal workers name and address and was told to write a letter and enclose some pictures.
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2012, 04:05 AM
    And the communication will go through the Social Worker to make certain the child is not upset.
    10longj Posts: 12, Reputation: -1

Jul 22, 2012, 08:41 AM
    Firstly tell her who you are, then tell her how you want to see her, never give up! I was put into care when I was 8, and I'm now 13, and my granddad, he hasn't stopped trying! But he contacts me on Facebook very day, just to see how I am! Maybe try to find out if she has a phone, and text her, but shpw he you care!
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2012, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 10longj View Post
    firstly tell her who you are, then tell her how you want to see her, never give up! i was put into care when i was 8, and im now 13, and my granddad, he hasnt stopped trying! but he contacts me on facebook very day, just to see how i am! maybe try to find out if she has a phone, and text her, but shpw he you care!

Why are you in foster care if you have a grandfather who is in contact with you?

Did you read that the social worker says the daughter is not ready for contact?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I obtain records from when I was in care/foster-care [ 3 Answers ]

I have tried everything to obtain records for when I was in care/foster care 1955 - 1965 to no avail I would also like to know if my mother is alive - I have not seen her since 1955. I have searched records - there are no death record for her, so hopefully she is still alive.

My nephews are in foster care and I want to care for them myself. [ 5 Answers ]

My nephews are in foster care and their mam,my sister has recently died.my mam has recently been denied kinship of the children,and I'm putting myself forward to care for them.what are my chances against social services.

Foster care [ 1 Answers ]

If my rights where taken from one of my other kids , can they take my right from my other child that I had that they took a 18 moths old??

View more questions Search