Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JakM2007 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 02:46 AM
    Monitor starts up until after windows xp loading then says "no Signal"
    Hi, last night my friend came round with his laptop an we watched a film using my monitor. I turned off my computer, unplugged the monitor an plugged it into his laptop, we watched the film fine, he went home. Next day in the morning I went to turn my comuter on, it loaded up until just after the windows xp loading bar and then the monitor goes black and say "no signal" I turned everything off and left it for a min, turned it on and same again. I turned my computer off an on about 7 times. I then used my spare monitor and same again, I tured that on an off about 5 times but still nothing. It was working perfectly fine the night before I unplugged it. We never touched the settings on the computer so there doesn't seem to be any reasonable explanation, it just seems that the computer doesn't like monitors anymore. The computer is only about 2 monthes old, I bought it just after xmas, and its running windows xp media centre edition. Any Help please email me on [email protected]. Many Thanks
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 23, 2007, 08:51 AM
    Hit "F8" just before the Windows screen appears, to bring up a menu (note. Press "F8" ahead of time; you need to be quick.).

Once you have the menu, choose the option to boot normally with VGA graphics.
    JakM2007 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Ill try that tonight when I'm at home, do you know what the reason would be for it changing. Many Thanks.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 23, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Something else I forgot to mention. Booting with VGA graphics will set the resolution to 640x480. If the desktop comes up, then change the resolution back to what you had before. Reboot. Hopefully it should reset the monitor.

Also, try unplugging the monitor's power cord for a few minutes (assuming you didn't try it in the first place) and see if that helped "reset" the monitor.

By the way, what type of monitor are you using? LCD or CRT?
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Feb 23, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Do you have 2 video cards? A lot of times, if you have two, and plug the monitor into the onboard card, it will display everything until windows loads, then it will turn off, and the "added" card will take over.
    CameronJE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Apparently this happens to several people, however; I only have one solution for those with laptops and an external monitor.

For some god awful reason, the computer will decide that it should suddenly start sending its video input to the laptops screen, instead of the external monitor to which it is usually wired to.

Press Fn and F10 (this key should have a monitor symbol under the letter/digit), until your screen display is returned. This switches your video input in between the external monitor and the laptop's screen. Then right click on the desktop, select properties, select the Settings tab and make sure that your external monitor is marked as the forefront monitor (marked 1) and that your laptop's display is marked as 2. Also, place your cursor above the second screen and make sure that the brief description that pops up says that the monitor is not in use.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Post is 7 months old

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"No Signal" on Monitor; PC power on but not booting up [ 5 Answers ]

I have a PC I built about 6 months ago that I've never had any problems with. Now when I turn it on I get "no signal" on my monitor. The problem is not the monitor though... the PC does not give any "beeps" or show signs of booting up... though the lights are on, all components seem to be...

How to displace the loading image with a message like "loading... "? [ 3 Answers ]

How to displace the loading image with a message like "loading"?

Computer is on, But Monitor display "No signal" [ 5 Answers ]

I am running on Window 2000 Professional OS, When I not touch the computer for 10 or 20 minutes(the time is not fixed), the monitor goes off and display "no signal". Then I cannot do anything except turn the computer off by press the computer power button. When I turn on the computer again,...

Monitor not working "No Signal" [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Daewoo HL710S LCD Monitor that is Plug & Play and DDC 1, 2B (whatever that means) It works fine with a Dell computer running Windows 2000 Professional. I am now trying to hook it up to a Compaq Evo (D51S) that has Windows XP Professional All I get is a “No Signal” message on the...

"services.exe" loading up to 100% [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there I reinstalled xp sp2 on my machine and everything was working perfectly until I upgraded firmware for my CDRW/DVDRW drive When I restarted my machine I had a message in tray, saying me that windows have found a new CD/DVD drive. That whould be OK, but then services.exe loads up to...

View more questions Search