Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbaven Posts: 153, Reputation: -4

Apr 27, 2012, 10:56 AM
    Can I eat ketchup and have the vitamins from a tomato without eating a tomato?
    Somebody asked me, do you eat tomatoes and I said no. Then he asked, do you dip your french fries in ketchup and I said yes. Then he told me that the goodness of a tomato like vitamins and other stuff are in ketchup. He said I am really eating tomatoes' vitamins. It that true?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 11:10 AM
    Ketchup is mostly water and salt. There's a small amount of vitamin C in it, but not enough to get excited about. So, no, you aren't getting your vitamins in ketchup.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 11:37 AM
    In theory no, not correct. All of the goodness has been cooked out of the tomatoes in the process of making ketchup, adding sugar and salt and spices.

Eat field grown tomatoes in season and receive all of the benefits of fresh produce.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 12:36 PM
    Correct ketchup has little value. What good value it has it offset by its extreme salt value. 50 to 70 times the salt value. You need to stick with raw veggies for real value,
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 9, 2012, 03:33 AM
    On a general note: Vitamin C is one of the water soluble vitamins and is quickly lost in cooking. In fact it starts to go away once a fruit or vegetable is picked.

You can take vitamin C in a pill. What tomatoes have that's good for you as well though is lycopene, an anti-oxidant, good for staving off cancer and old age and who knows what, it's all the rage. You can buy that in a pill too. If you don't like tomatoes...
    cuteshoes337 Posts: 13, Reputation: -6

Aug 1, 2012, 12:00 AM
    Ketchup is mostly corn syrup and vinegar, unfortunately. Grab a packet of ketchup at McD's and you will see. Tomato paste is a lot farther from the top of the ingredients list than you'd think.

If you are worried about getting the benefits of the nutrients in tomatoes without eating tomatoes (perhaps you don't like them?), rest assured there are plenty of vegetables (... fruits. Don't split hairs, now) that will do the job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can you eat tomato soup with a new tongue piercing? [ 2 Answers ]

I just got my tongue pierced 3 days ago. Some people told me I could smoke as long as I rinsed my mouth out. I suck on ice cubes allll the time. My tongue is still swollen. I take pain medication & wash my mouth to a day like I'm suppose to. The swelling just won't go down. What can I do to help it?

Tomato is rotting [ 1 Answers ]

Bottom of my tomatoes are rotting, how do I correct this.

Tomato gravy [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, can anyone tell me how to make tomato gravy, hubby wants some & mine didn't turn out like his moms,I thought you sliced & floured the tomato then fried it nope boy what a disaster that was, any help would be appreciated. Thanks mamapiglet (Brenda)

Tomato plants [ 4 Answers ]

My tomato plants are very healtful looking and asbout 2and a half feet high. They appear to have not enough blooms and even less small tomatoes from the blooms. I am in Colorqdo, zone 5 Thanks

View more questions Search