Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrsViolet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2012, 05:49 AM
    How much is too much hair coloring?
    The situation:
    I thought it would be a GREAT idea to have my husbands hair be "more blonde"! I had/have no experience in coloring and dot know why I even started this while thing!

Went to Walmart, picked up a box of Feria 100 shimmer- Natural Blonde. I didn't "pre-lighten" didn't know I should, so based on my recent self-education on hair coloring:
    I took him from a natural level 6 to a HORRIBLE gold level 6. It didn't really lighten anywhere but the roots because also, like a "___" I didn't know that you should apply at the scalp last because if the body heat.

Okay fast forwar to the next day. I asked my sister in law, what to do. Her response was simply "have him wash with jaico violet shampoo for a week." Well I didn't think that was going to do it- it was flat and horrible color ago I thought well I need to add some demension with highlights before I tone right?
    I go to Ulta and his very sweet intentioned lady (with hair THE EXACT COLOR IM TRYING TO GET RID OF) leads me around the store suggesting: "brass be gone" instead of an ACTUAL toner another boxed item " frosting/tip clairol original" some sulfate free shampoo/conditioner and I had to insist on the violet shampoo although she don't think I needed it.

Brass be gone- didn't work at all- took some of the orange out I guess?! So we will say it barely became a gold level 7.
    WHAT TO DO?
    I highlighted it, then had him sit with this "magical" shampoo for a few minutes, then we deep conditioned.
    Hmmmm... This is leading to the next level of ugliness: level 7 & 8... We decided his beloved baseball cap would be best for the next few days.
    Fast forwar to last night- I asked an asked and asked the "liscensed" clerks up at Sallys beauty supply for "a VIOLET maybe Blue violet preferably TONER!" I insiste I did not want to lighten anymore just tone. I repeated the words "honey brown" to this guy many times. I researche before I did this and knew that I wanted a semi-permanent. What they "had in stock" and Sao to "watch like a hawk in 5 min incraments" was A blue based light beige blonde permanent. But I don't want permanent -- whatever they said it would be fine, watch it, do equal parts blah blah...
    I apply this pungent concoction again to his poor little head just sure it was going to e the last and final beautiful blonde results I had originally set out for. Results- well nothing happened it seemed while I was watching like a hawk for the 5 min incraments and we actually left that crap on for almost the entire 25 min as the bottle said.
    Bottle: L Oreal Preference permanent ---> 9BB BLUE BASE! 2 oz
    Mixed with 20 volume sensitive developer- their idea again.

Yay! Wait no what just happened? I thought nothing until he came home with it dry---- nice! Now we have a bright level 9 !

This is it, I'm so frustrated and he's been so patient. My husbands very patient and I know we're headed to the buzz cut. But he's been growing it out, semi wanted to see some beach hunk results but--- he's not a girly/metro kind of dude and level 9! He's got fair skin during the colder months, blonde eyelashes etc, but there's NO WAY this is going to appear or end up looking "sun kissed natural"!

How much processing is too much? Is there a chance that if I do (based on my reading I've learned to stick to nursing) a no-lift violet based corrective color - the light or medium ash blonde clairol second to nature, that this will finally be over and end well? His hair has become more porous (duh!) and it's still to brassy to just let it be... HELP SOMEONE THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING HELP!
    By the way please don't mention what doof I am for attempting all this --- trust me I know! Please don't remind me that by now with amount $$$ I hve invested that I could have gotten it professionally colored as I know this too... I can almost assure you I WILL NEVER EVER EVER attempt to do color again, I just got to make this end right. Thanks, Me.

Check out some similar questions!

Can permanent hair coloring cause hair to fall out at the roots? [ 1 Answers ]

Can using a permanent hair color cause hair to fall out at the roots?

Hair loss due to hair coloring [ 2 Answers ]

Can certains types of hair color cause cause hair loss? A cheaper hair color? >Moved from Forum Help<

Will coloring the hair increase dandruff in the hair ? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I recently colored my hair and I feel that the dandruff has increased. I used to use sunsilk before coloring my hair and it was nice and smooth , after coloring I changed to Loreal color shampoo and I feel the dandruff has increased. Can you tell me if I can use sunsilk itself or is the...

Dry and frizzy hair from leaving hair coloring on too long. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I usually color my hair every four weeks to cover up the gray. I use the same color " medium copper brown" which is a little lighter than my natural color. The last time I colored my hair, I left it on for too long, almost an hour, I was talking on the telephone and didn't notice the...

Hair Coloring - Dying auburn hair with grey roots [ 2 Answers ]

Any advice for dying already dyed auburn hair with massive grey roots. I heard that using an ash color will diminish the brassiness.

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.