Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BobRod Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2012, 05:04 PM
    Tankless and regular hot water heater work together?
    I installed a tankless hot water heater. It does supply endless hot water. But the pressure is diminished quite a bit I figure it's because I live in a 3 story semi. I went back to the regular hot water heater and kept my tankless also. The pressure is great now. My question is can I direct the tankless hot water directly into the regular HWH instead of cold water feeding into it So it does not have to heat the water as much and possibly cut down some of the gas expense.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 26, 2012, 05:08 PM
    Your pressure is likely unchanged but you are seeing a decrees in volume. Tankless heaters frequently throttle the volume to allow time for the heater to work. Sorry you already made this switch back. I would have lower the setting on the tankless which would have boosted the volume a bit. By connecting both types of heater you are not going to save on gas, I think you have created a system that will do the opposite

Apr 27, 2012, 06:38 AM
    Thank you. Now that I am stuck with both units, I believe it would do no harm by sending the hot water from the tankless unit into the regular hot water tank so it works less. Am I correct?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 27, 2012, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BobRod View Post
    Thank you. Now that i am stuck with both units, I believe it would do no harm by sending the hot water from the tankless unit into the regular hot water tank so it works less. am I correct?
    I can see no problem in hooking the two heaters in series. It makes a lot less work for the regular water heater. Good luck, Tom

Apr 29, 2012, 07:56 AM
    Thank you Tom you confirmed my believe.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 29, 2012, 08:05 AM
    You're welcome. Let us know if we can help in the future, Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why would, hot water only, stop flowing from (gas) tankless hot water heater? [ 1 Answers ]

Cold water flows fine. Just the hot water has stopped running.

Tankless water heater versus regular water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know basic water heater tank maintenance

Merits of regular versus tankless hot water heaters [ 1 Answers ]

Merits of regular versus tankless hot water heaters.

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

Tankless hot water heater [ 1 Answers ]

Is a tankless hot water heater a good deal? We have a 4 bedroom house currently 2 people living in it. Our hot water heater is 16 years old and needs replaced we Are considering going with a tankless heater which is more Expensive but were not sure if would be a good deal or not.

View more questions Search