Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swishin13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Given vectors u=-i-5j and v=-2i+7j, find 9u-8v
    Here is my problem:

given vectors
    u=-i-5j and v=-2i+7j, find 9u-8v

I for the most part have been getting the vector questions but this one has me stumped. Should I multiply 9(-1-5) and 8(-2+7). Then subtract the two of them. I have tried doing that and the answer does not come up.

Any help is apprectiated thanks.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 12:41 AM
    You need to keep the is and js in, and treat them like any other variable (in this case they are unit vectors).

so you need:

from here you can do the arithmetic, but you can see what I've done, I've kept the i and j and treated them separately, just like you would treat x and y separately.

Hope this helps :)
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Feb 23, 2007, 08:39 AM
    If you did not understand what Capuchin said, basically:

9(-i - 5j) - 8(-2i + 7j)

Multiply out the brackets, and then solve by: adding like terms, or subtracting like terms as stated in the question.

You have to treat the vectors as normal terms that can be multiplied.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding the magnitude of vectors [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: does anyone know how to find the magnitude of a vector because I can add and subtract them and all that stuff but I can not find the magnitude and the heading... so if someone could help me that would be nice!:confused:

Calculating vectors [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. I'm having trouble with two questions regarding vectors. I'm not asking for solutions-just a step in the right direction. 1)A skater glides along a circular path of radius 4.90m. a)if he coasta around one half of the circle, find the magnitude of the displacement vector b)find how...

Vectors (For Computer Graphics) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Before I hit Google for what I needed I thought I'd ask here for some recommendations. I went to an interview for a job yesterday and they sprung a high level maths test on me. Unfortunately, the first question I had never seen the items in the question before (something about if...

How Do I Find My Way [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: i am a 25 yr old male on the 27th of this month i start a new job for a major printing company sounds nice right? But its not i will be working 12 hr days 3 to 4 days a week no leaving the property and absolutely no smoking this i can deal with but music is my passion im not fond of the...

View more questions Search