Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrsMac77 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2012, 08:16 AM
    What is this spider I found in my basement?
    I live in Dupage County, Illinois and found this spider in my basement last night (dead)
    It is furry and was heavy.

It really scares me.
    Attached Images

smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2012, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMac77 View Post
    I live in Dupage County, Illinois and found this spider in my basement last night (dead)
    It is furry and was heavy.

It really scares me.
    How long is the body... as in fractions of an inch or inches?
    MrsMac77 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2012, 09:02 AM
    The body is about the length of my pinky nail. This picture was taken inside the bottom of a solo plastic cup
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2012, 09:09 AM
    I too live in DuPage County, so will be watching for this creature's friends.

Since it's so tiny, it could be a tick of some sort. Ticks are rampant this spring because of the early spring. It could be a baby wolf spider. Odinn7, one of our members on this site, is a spider expert, so I will PM him to look at this thread.
    raisingale Posts: 71, Reputation: 20

Apr 26, 2012, 09:18 AM
    It appears to be a wolf spider. They are solitary spiders if it is. They basically hunt alone on the ground. Seeing one is not really indicative of an infestation. He probably just wandered in during his nightly hunt.
    DogEatDog101 Posts: 18, Reputation: -1

Apr 26, 2012, 09:24 AM
    Not a wolf spider, looks like a female mouse spider and is venomous be cautious and spray your home or just be aware of any areas in your homethat you don't move things around a lot in.
    raisingale Posts: 71, Reputation: 20

Apr 26, 2012, 09:29 AM
    Mouse Spiders are not indigenous to the US.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

May 8, 2012, 10:29 AM
    The picture is not clear enough to distinguish the species, let alone family, of the spider. Wolf spider is a good guess. Wolf spiders have a distinct eye pattern:

It is definitely NOT a tick.

Spiders may be creepy but most species are not dangerous. I learned in arachnology that all spiders are venomous, but not all spiders have the ability or inclination to bite people. But there are species that bite people. The dangerous species are well known, but not always easily identified - widows, violin, yellow sac, & hobo spiders.

IMO, pesticides are not the first choice of control for spiders. Good housekeeping (=vacuum), window screens, door jams & thresholds, and a rolled up magazine will keep spiders out of the house. Spiders are different than insects. Their physiology and habits don't make them easy to kill for fumigant, or residual insecticides.

Websites:
    USA Spider ID Chart
    UC IPM
    Illinois Dept of Health

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I am finishing my bathroom in the basement and I've found that the shower fits the ro [ 4 Answers ]

I am finishing my bathroom in the basement and I’ve found that the shower fits the room in the back, but has about ¼” gap on either side in the front. I’ve read that you can shim but I don’t understand how I’ll be able to run green board over the flange of the shower and still have it line up with...

10 legged black spider not a camel spider [ 5 Answers ]

I came across this thing on my side walk it moves slowly is about an inch in length I've never seen a 10 legged spider so I took pictures and tried looking it up with no luck, it is not a camel spider I know that for sure. Also you can see from the pictures I'm not mistaking the 2 extra legs for...

I found a spider in my sheets! [ 3 Answers ]

Just the other day I found this big black fuzzy spider wuth a white back. Looked really evil! Anyone know what kind? Thnks:(

Found skin in basement - where's snake at? [ 2 Answers ]

HELP - :eek: The other night while in our basemenets "coal bin" I happened to look up and over to the right and seen a snake skin up on the subfloor (?) :confused: of the floor above - rafters - :confused: whatever you want to call it. :eek: Needless to say I am terrified of any snake - even a...

Cracks found in masorny bricks and in the basement [ 5 Answers ]

1) I live in a townhouse and share a masorny garage wall with my neighbor. I found a staircase crack on masorny bricks. The house is 35 years old. I can see the crack from the ceiling and it goes down to the bottom and I also find a small crack in the base (foundation? Bricks are build...

View more questions Search