Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Indie01 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2012, 03:22 AM
    Water seeping through concrete slab during prolonged rain
    Water appears to be seeping through the concrete slab of the house during prolonged heavy rain. The house has a couple of levels and the higher slab does not get wet but the lower areas take on about an inch of water. These areas are tiled but the tiles are not lifting. You can't see the water coming in, it just appears but it covers half the house.

The garage slab, which is attached to the house, appears to have been laid at a later date than the house slab and may be just slightly higher than the house!

The people who we bought from didn't mention the flooding but have tried to fix the problem by pooring concrete around the edge of the house. This appears to have lifted due to the rain?

We have had all the drains cleared, we have had a number of plumbers look at the property and they all have no idea how to help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Note - the house was built in 1971 and is in the wet tropics, where they have white ant. The walls are fibro with a concrete slab and wooded structure. An inground pool was put in about 10 years ago. Neighbours have told us the house has flooded as long as they have been there but I'm not sure if that was before or after the pool. I can't imagine the house has flooded each year for the past 40 years so I imagine something has changed to causing the flooding.

Please help we are desperate as if we don't get this sorted we will have white ant and then no house...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 26, 2012, 03:34 AM
    Tropics of what country?
    Sometimes you can sue the previous owner or the inspector, depending on the disclosure statements. Not easy though.
    A slab poured in 1971 would have no vapor barrier under it, most likely and you are pretty much stuck with a water problem, even if you did remove all the useless concrete around the sides and excavate and install all new drainage at the footings, which are probably clogged if they even exist.
    A house in the tropics shouldn't have levels below ground. I don't know what you have for multiple levels, on a hillside maybe? It's going to be a battle to solve. You could try the latest in trench drains with landscape cloth wrapped around large gravel, all around the house, about 2 feet down, but don't expect much.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 26, 2012, 07:54 AM
    You didn't say what room the water came up in. The way I see it you have two options.
    1- If possible install a sump pump. **OR**
    2- If a sump pump's not possible run french drains,(see image) around the foundation of the house and direct the water away.
    we have had a number of plumbers look at the property and they all have no idea how to help
    Where do you live and what caliber of plumbers are there that couldn't have given you this advice? Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Apr 27, 2012, 01:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Tropics of what country?
    Sometimes you can sue the previous owner or the inspector, depending on the disclosure statements. Not easy though.
    A slab poured in 1971 would have no vapor barrier under it, most likely and you are pretty much stuck with a water problem, even if you did remove all the useless concrete around the sides and excavate and install all new drainage at the footings, which are probably clogged if they even exist.
    A house in the tropics shouldn't have levels below ground. I don't know what you have for multiple levels, on a hillside maybe? It's going to be a battle to solve. You could try the latest in trench drains with landscape cloth wrapped around large gravel, all around the house, about 2 feet down, but don't expect much.
    Hello, we live in Cairns Far North Qld. Thanks for your advice, I have been in touch with the inspector and he is going to come and take another look to see what we can do. Cheers

Apr 27, 2012, 01:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    You didn't say what room the water came up in. The way I see it you have two options.
    1- If possible install a sump pump. **OR**
    2- If a sump pump's not possible run french drains,(see image) around the foundation of the house and direct the water away.
    Where do you live and what caliber of plumbers are there that couldn't have given you this advice? Good luck, Tom
    Hi Tom,

We live in Cairns Far North Qld, sounds like we are going to need more than luck. Thanks for your reply though, I will do some digging and see if we can install a sump pump. Cheers
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 27, 2012, 06:37 AM
    What room is the water coming into? Can you install a pit in this room? If not then a french drain around the foundation might just be your best bet. Let me know what you think will work best for you. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ground Water Seeping Through Concrete Slab [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a bathtub on a concrete slab in the basement. In order to have access to the drain p-trap I had to create a hole in the slab. The open area is about 12" x 12" x (7" deep). The slab is 4" thick, however, the 5 walls of the boxed area of the recessed hole are concrete but only 1"...

Water seeping up through concrete slab into my house [ 5 Answers ]

As everyone knows April and May in OK have been extremely WET. I had thought my major problem was in cleaning the mud out of flooded storage buildings, repairing the dirt floor of my carport and being stuck at home while waiting for our country road to be repaired, washed out, repaired, washed out,...

Water leak between the slab and the outside brick wall; seeping area kitchen. [ 2 Answers ]

My water company issued a bill indicateing that I used 31,000 gallons of water in two months. The checked meter which was newly installed last summer. Working properly. No wet spots in yard but I had noticed a few wet spots where the slab and outside wall meet. These wet spots are in the...

Rain leak on floor of concrete slab, no plumbing beneath [ 1 Answers ]

My concrete slab has no plumbing under it. It's an addition to the house (outside breezway turned into a room - between garage and house). House was built in 1940's in Michigan. We have a leak on the floor by the doorwall, only when it rains. Cannot see where the water is coming in. The carpet...

View more questions Search