Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JavaJitterz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2012, 04:29 PM
    Hot water takes long time to reach ALL faucets
    We just bought a 2200 sqft single level home in Florida with PVC pipes laid under the floor. We knew when we bought the house that the lower element was burnt out on the hot water heater and that it was most likely filled with sediment due to water pressure issues when more than 1 faucet was turned on at the same time. We replaced the water heater with a 65 gallon electric heater and that solved our pressure issues but now we have a problem getting hot water to the faucets, and it doesn't matter if the faucet is 30 feet from the tank or the furthest from the hot water tank, the issue is the same- you turn on the hot water tap and wait anywhere from 55 seconds to 2 minutes for the water to get warm. If you turn off the hot water and turn it back on again it starts cold and you have to wait another 55 seconds-2 minutes again for hot water. When my husband showers and gets out and I get in the water has only been off for less than 2 minutes, tops. I get a blast of warm water that lasts for a second or two and then it goes cold and eventually turns hot.
    This is totally maddening. The plumber that installed the hot water heater suggested a circ pump but I'm on city water and am getting 60 psi for pressure and the neighbors do not have a circ pump and don't have these issues and their house is larger than ours. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 25, 2012, 06:45 PM
    Are you on concrete slab or raised foundation ?

It is design problem. Yes, hot water circulation pump is your solution. Also, install insulation on hot water pipes.

Hope that helps. Milo
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 25, 2012, 07:00 PM
    Can you test the temp of the water when you run just HOT only, should be about 120. Seems odd to me that a 30' run also takes the same time to heat up as the longest run. I'd love to see a psi test on the cold only and then hot only but that is not all that easy to set up, I think you have a hot volume issue. If you open the drain spigot on the heater and install a temporary pressure gauge you should see the same psi as you will find on your outside garden spigot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Short hot water time in showers long time at sink faucets [ 0 Answers ]

I just replaced a 50 gallon natural gas water heater with a new Whirlpool of the same size and specifications. We have a Laing 303 recirculating pump on a timer. I've checked and rechecked all the connections, hot to hot cold to cold, thermostat temp, dip tube is not broken. I get plenty of...

Takes awhile for hot water to come from faucets [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a small ranch home 927 sq ft (no basement, no second floor). My hot water tank is located next to my furnace in an inside room almost centrally located in my house. When I turn on any faucet in house it takes a while for hot water to appear. From my bathroom, I can literally take "3...

Water takes a long time to get hot [ 4 Answers ]

It takes five minutes for the water it heat up in my bathroom even thought it is not far from the water heater. What can I do?

Hot water takes long time [ 4 Answers ]

Hello every one, It takes long time for the hot water to come on while we take shower especially on the second floor shower, once it is running then it is OK, but in the beginning wasting a lot of water, any suggestions please.

Hot water takes a long time to reach faucets [ 3 Answers ]

On some bad advice I had a new hot water heater installed and have the same problem. 2100sq.ft.house with 2 1/2 baths. Three people in the house. It takes 2 to 3 minutes To get hot water at a faucet or any other outlet. Now I'm told that I need a thermal expansion tank between the main water line...

View more questions Search