Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shyylo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 07:27 PM
    During probate do I need my own attorney?
    I live in California, my Dad lived in Montana. He died and his common law wife started probate and according to Montana law we divide everything 50/50 as I am his only child. I think she gets the first $100,000 though but anyway, I am okay with that. I think she has to prove common law too, which I accept. However, her attorney has not contacted me and I have not him. She said he was going to send me power of attorney papers to sign and I said I wanted dual power of attorney. I have received nothing. "If we split things 50/50, why not that to?" I am trying to protect myself. Do I need to get an attorney too? I have somewhat good communication and somewhat know his "wife". I hate to do that because it might cause bad feelings between us and she has some of his things for me. It is all snow up there right now, what should I do? If probate has started, which she says it has, then everything is frozen. Can she gets rights to accounts without me signing anything?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 22, 2007, 08:07 PM
    This sounds like a larger estate so yes you need an attorney and should have already had one before you agreed to anything.

Common law is not accepted by a lot of states anylonger, so she may not have any legal standing at all. Your attorney needs to look into this.

And everything is frozen?? No who ever is exectitor of the estate can be paying bills out of the accounts, so you need to be involved from day one and know who is doing what, where the money is, and more.

Get the attorney, just to be sure she is doing it right
    shyylo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Thanks Fr. Chuck. I just spoke to her today and when I asked her for her attorney's name she said he didn't want that info given to me so that I wouldn't call them, they would call me. I told her that was weird. She said she would them again to call me. I said If they don't get in touch with me I will forced to get an attorney of my own. So if by Tuesday no call, I will get one. I have researched about 15 of them in the city in Montana where she got one. So thanks for the push to go forward with this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Yes, sadly money makes people go crazy, I think that actually she has little or no claim, and is most likely moving and hiding everything and trying to get everything done before you get involved.

Next you should call Monday, the probate court and see if she has even filed probate ? They will also tell you who the attorneys are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probate of Real estate [ 4 Answers ]

When my Mother in law passed away, my husband, her son was Executor of her estate. We went to an attorney and had her will probated. When a will is probated the creditor has 6 months to place a lien against her estate for any debt owed. We had 1 lien placed. However, her mortgage company did...

Probate of Will [ 5 Answers ]

My grandmother passed away in 2004 and she died testate leaving my aunt as the executor of the will. Now I received a notification that I was named in the will back in early August. I soon after contacted the lawyer hired to probate the will he said I would be getting 2k probably at the end of...

California Probate [ 1 Answers ]

My step-father recently passed away. Prior to his passing, he told one family member that his will was something he wrote on a piece of paper and signed by he and his wife (my step-mother) with no lawyer involved. He told another family member that I was the executress of the estate, and provided...

Probate [ 1 Answers ]

I am durable power of ATTY for Sister Kim. There is no will and I am not sure if I have the power to sell home or not in the event of her death which is imminent... just weeks away.. HELP!

Probate Nightmare Can Anyone Help? [ 23 Answers ]

This is the latest of what seems to be a hundred letters I have written trying to get help, of which there seems to be none, all because it's a piddly civil matter, I am positive this goes on in every state in this country and something must be done. This has destroyed my family who are good...

View more questions Search