Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ConcreteQ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2012, 10:23 AM
    Adding height to existing concrete slab (outdoor patio)
    I have read on this site the procedures for pouring new concrete over existing concrete slabs and understand the importance of making sure the new concrete adheres to the existing. Assuming the proper use of rebar, can approx. 2 inches of gravel be used on top of the existing slab to reduce the amount of new concrete (approx. 4-5 inches) that is necessary to achieve overall desired height of the new patio? Many thanks for any and all recommendations.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2012, 01:48 PM
    That is a lot of weight to add. Are you sure the footing in strong enough?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pouring concrete over an existing patio slab that has been converted to a sun room. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an enclosed porch that was once a patio (I bought the house with the porch). The slab is approximately 13' x 21'. Because it was once a patio the 2x4's on the bottom of the walls are beginning to rot because the slab is 3" to 4" lower than the house slab. The roof of the room is part of the...

Building an outdoor 8 ft. High wall over existing 4 inch concrete slab [ 0 Answers ]

I want to build am 8 foot 2x4 framed wall finished with stucco across the entry way to my home to create a courtyard. The sidewalk is natural stone over a 4 inch concrete slab. Do I need a footer? When digging on each side of the sidewalk I discovered PVC irrigation pipes a few inches below ground...

How to pour concrete over existing patio slab [ 5 Answers ]

We want to expand our kitchen out over an existing patio concrete slab. Approximately 7ft by 14ft. To bring the area level to the house, we will need to pour the new concrete 2 inches deep. How should we prep the area? Our plan is to lay a moisture barrier on top of the new slab and glue...

Pouring interior concrete slab over existing, cracked concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am turning part of my carport into a new living room. I am going to pour a concrete slab about 4 inches thick over the existing carport floor which is a concrete slab. The existing slab has a few cracks, the largest of which is about an 1/8in. Wide and raised about an 1/8in. What would be the...

Adding a concrete extension to an existing patio [ 2 Answers ]

I need to add an extension to my patio aprox 4'x4'. It needs to be 4" thick to support my AC unit. I need to know how to do it.

View more questions Search