Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brucet06410 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Am I judgement proof in ct
    I have SS Disability as my only income of $1769 mo. And a ten year old Toyota Corolla as my only property.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 25, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Where do you live?
    brucet06410 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2012, 09:16 AM
    In CT
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2012, 09:22 AM
    There is no such thing as judgement proof, since they can always file and get a judgement against you.

It is if you have nothing, they can not get anything, they can still put the judgement on your credit report and have collections calling to collect. Also they can attempt to garnish bank accounts forcing you to prove that all the money is from that source.

But if you don't have anything, they can not get it.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 1, 2012, 06:06 AM
    SSDI is garnishable. SSI isn't.
    Your best bet is to address this with the debt collectors now, revealing all your income and assets, and asking how to work out a plan.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 1, 2012, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    There is no such thing as judgement proof, since they can always file and get a judgement against you.

It is if you have nothing, they can not get anything, they can still put the judgement on your credit report and have collections calling to collect. Also they can attempt to garnish bank accounts forcing you to prove that all the money is from that source.

But if you don't have anything, they can not get it.
    Fr_Chuck, that's exactly what "judgment proof" means. If their assets and income are exempt from levy under the law of the jurisdiction in quesiton, they are "judgment proof".

I don't know if Connecticut law has a specific exemption for an automobile, and if so, what the exemption amount is. A ten year old Toyota Corolla can't be worth much. Kelly Blue Book, assuming it's a CE sedan, with 100K miles, and in good condition suggests it is worth maybe $4,712.

The Connecticut statutory exemption on motor vehicles is up to $1,500 --section 52-352b(j). Plus a "wild card exemption for another $1,000 --52-352b(r). So no, OP is, technically speaking, not judgment proof.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgement proof in Florida [ 2 Answers ]

How to answer judgement papers served.Been disable since 4/09 SSDI aproved my disability.I owned a house that's upside down I owned one vehicle worth maybe $1900 Can they take our furniture for sheriff sale.My question actually what I'm I facing Thanks

Does plaintiff have to show proof, to obtain default judgement [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons to small claims for a frivolous lawsuit. I know that not showing up is a reason for a default judgement to be issued against me. But if the plaintiff will have to show proof to his claim, I'm certain he won't be able to. What is the law/practive in NYC small claims? Does the...

Foreclosure, bankruptcy and being Judgement proof [ 4 Answers ]

So here is the situation of myself and my fiancé. I live in Canada, but she lives in California, and recently she was kicked out of the house she bought a while back due to missed mortgage payments and the resulting foreclosure. We managed to find a place to rent in the same town, with her mother...

Judgement Proof [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I just found this site and really think it's very helpful to all it's users. Here is my problem... I was diagnosed with lung cancer back in Oct. 2007. I had my left lung removed. While I was out on medical my job was cut due to contracts not being renewed. It has been a tough seven months so I...

Mediation Hearing and being judgement proof [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am new to this site and am panicked about a mediation hearing that I have to attend tomorrow. I moved to Florida in 2004 and shortly after, my financial situation became so bad that I could not pay my mortgage and my credit card debt. I as barely able to pay for immeiate living expenses. My...

View more questions Search