Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chik question Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 06:00 PM
    Teachers spreading rumors about students
    Is it against the law for teachers to spread rumors all over the school about a student if they have no proof in the matter?
    Teaching Posts: 198, Reputation: 28

Feb 22, 2007, 06:44 PM
    That is completey unprofessional and I am sure you can talk to someone higher up if that is the case.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2007, 07:11 PM
    Hello chik:

It's illegal for anyone to lie about anyone. The question in a court of law, however, would be how much did the lie cost. If the lie damages one's reputation in a quantifiable way, then a lawsuit is in order.

Of course, if it's true, then it is, and anybody can say the truth about anybody without proof.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2007, 07:51 PM
    No, it is not right to spread rumors. That is called slander. Now if they can prove what they are saying... that is another matter - still unprofessional because it is gossip - but not slander. They still are unethical in talking about a student.

Can you prove what the teachers are saying is, in fact, a lie? Call the ACLU - they love this stuff. Do it for free no doubt too.

Feb 22, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaching
    That is completey unprofessional and I am sure you can talk to someone higher up if that is the case.
    I know I could talk to someone higher, I just need to know if any good will come of it, if it will make it stop for good. Or, if there is anything else I could do to get them to stop. I need to know how it will make a difference, I guess is my question.
    Teaching Posts: 198, Reputation: 28

Feb 22, 2007, 11:26 PM
    I would definitely put this in a letter form - and copy it to the school and the school board of trustees. Written documents have more weight.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2007, 05:35 AM
    Hello again, chik:

Ok, so come clean. You're the kid and I want to know what the rumor is. Is it that you need to study harder?? It would be easier if we knew what we were dealing with.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 05:45 AM
    Now this is part of it, teachers can discuss among thierself things they expect to be happening, like watch bobby he may be using drugs, and so on, this is merely proper teaching
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2007, 07:17 AM
    If you want to know whether its illegal for one person to spread lies about another, it is. If you want to know whether its unethical for a teacher to spread lies about a student, again it is. Something can be unethical without being illegal.

So the next question is what to do about it. The pat answer, since we don't know any details, is to talk to the teacher's supervisor and file a complaint with the school administration.

Feb 23, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, chik:

Ok, so come clean. You're the kid and I want to know what the rumor is. Is it that you need to study harder??? It would be easier if we knew what we were dealing with.

excon

OK, yes, I am the student who the rumors are about. I got in trouble at school for skipping class, but instead of just saying that, teachers are making it more interesting by saying that I was in the bathroom doing something with somebody, which is completely untrue, because if it was true then I would definitely be expelled, but I'm not. So now I have teachers and students against me, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to handle the situation
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2007, 07:17 PM
    We told you what to do.
    ghost56 Posts: 283, Reputation: 26

Feb 27, 2007, 11:43 AM
    It is certainly unprofessional and I would definitely have a word with the head of the school.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rashes on my leg and spreading! Please help me [ 19 Answers ]

I have these rashes on my legs... there not that noticeable but they are spreding now. I got the first one about 2 months ago... and now recently they are three of them. They are about two inches and itch a lot. When I scratch them it starts burning... at first it looks like a bruise with a pink...

Former Teachers? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been teaching for nearly four years now, and I have got to say I really don't enjoy it. It's not the subject matter (Chemistry, Science and Math) that bothers me, or the students. I love interacting with them. I just don't enjoy the politics of teaching. I wonder if there are any former...

My ex's best friend is spreading rumors about me [ 9 Answers ]

I live in a group home where you aren't allowed to date anyone else in the group home. Back in August, when school started, I started dating one of the other clients anyway. We went really strong and steady until he broke up with me because we got in a fight over religion. He is Wiccan and I'm...

Bad Rumors [ 3 Answers ]

What if I heard a rumor about my bgf/crush and I know its not true. Its REALLY bad. But there is this teeny part of me that is confused about it. I don't even sleep at night because of this... ik its ridiculous, but its bothering me. IDk what to do!

What to do if two co workers are spreading lies about you? [ 6 Answers ]

I have never used this web site before and Im at my witts end. I work as a hairdresser in a small shop and two out of five co-workers are telling my boss that Im doing things Im just not doing. One of them is telling my boss that she is physically scared of me and that I threatened the other one...

View more questions Search