Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amandaparker198 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 09:18 PM
    HRT not working?
    I am 30 years old and I had my cervix, complete uterus, and both fallopian tubes removed in June 2011. I then had both ovaries removed in January 2012. Once the ovaries were removed I was put on HRT (a patch I change twice a week). It is not doing it's job and I feel the risks are going to out weigh the benefits once this whole thing is over because of my age. I have to continue HRT for 20 years. I already take medication for irregular heart rate and one for high cholesterol. I am also on numerous medications for migraines, bipolar, PTSD, social anxiety, GERD. Diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and other major medical issues run highly on both sides of my family. My grandmother now has a severe case of Dementia due to her long-term use of HRT ( she had a hysterectomy when she was 28). What would happen if I decided to NOT take HRT? Is there other options I could try or discuss with my doctor? Please help! I am scared!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 09:23 PM
    Would it be possible for you to list each medication you take, how often you take it and the dosage of each? I might be able to help you more if I had that information.

Apr 24, 2012, 09:46 PM
    topamax 100mg 2x day
    tegretol 200mg 2x day
    prozac 20mg 2x day
    kolonopin 1mg 3x day
    pepcid 20mg 2x day
    toporol 25mg 1x day
    pravastatin 20mg 1x day
    Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 09:54 PM
    Has your doctor told you that HRT is required for you? Why did your doctor tell you that HRT was necessary?

Many times HRT is optional. I don't find an interaction with any of these medications.

Apr 24, 2012, 10:02 PM
    I was assuming I "needed" HRT because I am only 30 years old. There has to be alternate options though. Aren't there? I mean I already am taking Cholesterol medication and heart medication. Heart disease, diabetes, and other HRT risk factors already run highly in my family. I do not want to give them a boost.
    Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 10:08 PM
    What is the name of the HRT you are on?

Is there a history of any breast cancer in your family?
    Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 10:12 PM
    HRT is usually prescribed to reduce the symptoms that come along with menopause. Since you have not achieved menopause naturally, but surgically, there are other options available to you depending on your health.

For example, although I am a nurse, I am also a breast cancer survivor. My cancer is estrogen sensitive, so I cannot take HRT for my menopause, nor can I take herbal supplements. I do take Pristiq, which is an antidepressant but has been approved for treatment of menopausal symptoms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taillights not working, bulbs good,brake and turn signals are working [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I need some help.my 98 chevy pick up has no taillights ,my brake and turn signals work.I have checked my fuses all seem OK .What to look for now?

On H1B working in the you.S. Wife in India working. Question on W4 exceptions [ 2 Answers ]

I am on h1b WORKING IN THE U.S. My wife is in India and working in India. I have a child who is 2.5 years old. How many exceptions can I claim on my W-4? My wife will be filing her taxes in India. Do I also have to report my wife's income as well?

Dual fuel rheem furnace not working, defrost control board replaced still not working [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there, I have a Rheem furnace and is only one year old. Recently my furnace didn't come on so I had someone come out and look at it and it turns out it was the defrost board on the heat pump that was bad. I replaced the board with a new one and turned the system on and it worked on heat and...

Hysterectomy AND HRT [ 2 Answers ]

How long after having a total hysterectomy does one need to be on hormone replacement therapy?

View more questions Search