Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilytygert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 09:15 PM
    How to declare a cash dividend on a statement of retained earnings?
    Problem 13-2A: Cash dividends, treasury stock, and statement of retained earnings L.O. C3, P2, P3
    [The following information applies to the questions displayed below.]

Context Corporation reports the following components of stockholders’ equity on December 31, 2011.

Common stock—$10 par value, 50,000 shares authorized, 20,000 shares issued and outstanding
    $ 200,000
    Paid-in capital in excess of par value, common stock 30,000
    Retained earnings 135,000

Total stockholders' equity $ 365,000

In year 2012, the following transactions affected its stockholders’ equity accounts.
    Jan. 1 Purchased 2,000 shares of its own stock at $20 cash per share.
    Jan. 5
    Directors declared a $2 per share cash dividend payable on Feb. 28 to the Feb. 5 stockholders of record.
    Feb. 28 Paid the dividend declared on January 5.
    July 6 Sold 750 of its treasury shares at $24 cash per share.
    Aug. 22 Sold 1,250 of its treasury shares at $17 cash per share.
    Sept. 5
    Directors declared a $2 per share cash dividend payable on October 28 to the September 25 stockholders of record.
    Oct. 28 Paid the dividend declared on September 5.
    Dec. 31
    Closed the $194,000 credit balance (from net income) in the Income Summary account to Retained Earnings.

I need to know the cash dividens declared.

CONTEXT CORPORATION
    Statement of Retained Earnings
    For Year Ended December 31, 2012
    Retained earnings, Dec. 31, 2011 $ 135000

Retained earnings, Dec. 31, 2012 $ 194000 = 329000
    less cash dividends declaired $?
    less treasury stock reissuances $?

retained earnings 2012 $ 252250

Check out some similar questions!

Why retained earnings is not included in the cash flow statement? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, please can you help me with my accounting H.W? I just want to know why retained earnings is not included in the cash flow statement?

Cash dividends, treasury stock, and statement of retained earnings [ 1 Answers ]

Problem 13-2A: Cash dividends, treasury stock, and statement of retained earnings L.O. C2, C4, P2, P5 Rocklin Corporation reports the following components of stockholders' equity on December 31, 2009. Common stock—$20 par value, 100,000 shares authorized, 60,000 shares issued and...

Cash Dividends, Treasury stock, and statement of retained earnings [ 0 Answers ]

I did tried to solve this question, and prepared journal entries for it. But my Retained Earning is different than the provided answer for this question. Can you please let me know what mistake I made, so I can correct it. I am explaining my question and the way I solved this question .Please let...

Cash flow statement using indirect method Retained Earnings involved. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I am doing an accounting question involving cash flow statement.. using indirect method. So, Im almost done doing this question... but I'm confused about a few things, like where to put them and if they should be in the cash flow statement. These are what I'm confused about: Balance...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.