Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessie94 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 11:50 AM
    I just had a dwarf hamster, how do I take care of her best?
    I know I'm not supposed to touch her or so for the first days, & put toys in her cage. I'm just worried she doesn't like her new home, and that she may die from stress or things like that. She sometimes stares @ me like she wants attention but when I put my hand close to her (without touching) she gets scared. How do I treat her best?Because I understand the first day are the hardest. Help!
    Ela2219 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 05:38 PM
    Info
    Hamsters are naturally very aggressive animals, but they also can learn to adjust to their surroundings. This means that at first they may be very defensive because they are unfamiliar with people, so it is important that you allow them time to adjust to their new home.

Dwarf hamsters can live together under the condition that they are either from the same litter or were at least housed together when they were young. In any other cases the chances for violent fighting is high and result in serious injuries or death. You should also make sure that hamsters that are houses together are all of the same sex because it is possible that they may mate, and inbreeding could cause health problems. Two of our hamsters, Peanut and Pumpkin lived together. They were both males of the same litter. And most importantly make sure that the cage is of appropriate size so that both hamsters can live in harmony.
    Be sure that your hamster stays in a dry climate and a fairly constant temperature. If the cage becomes wet or moist your hamster could become ill, and sudden drastic temperuate changes can also result in health issues.
    In order to keep your hamster happy and healthy, you should clean their cage at least 1-2 times a week and change their food and water daily.

If this helped great! If you still want to know more YourFirstHamster.com - Home is a great website

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dwarf hamster [ 4 Answers ]

I bought two of these hamsters got to give them both some love and one was dead with its face bitten and its eye gone do you have any suggestions please x x

My dwarf hamster has some kind of scab on her back... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi About a month ago I noticed my dwarf hamster has a kind of crusty scab on her back... I thought it might have been from a cut or something but after it fell off it keeps coming back... also... once the crusty stuff falls off the skin beneath it seems to be slightlty swollen and red. I've also...

My dwarf hamster has two HUGE lumps on her lower stomach what are they? [ 2 Answers ]

My dwarf hamster who is only about one year old has two lumps on her lower stomach. They look pink and have a few scabs. They are HUGE and take up almost her hold stomach. She seems to be active and eats and poops OK I think. I have not paid attention to her for a while so I don't know how long she...

Dwarf hamster has strange bump [ 5 Answers ]

I have a dwarf hamster named surgar. I've had her since July of 2008 and she's been healthy and happy. About a month ago I noticed that she had lump to the side of her stomach. I was worried but tried not to think anything of it. Ever since then, it grew really big to a point where it looks almost...

The Dwarf [ 5 Answers ]

I rear ended a car this morning... I tell you, I knew it was going to be a REALLY bad day! The driver got out of the other car, and he was a DWARF! He looked up at me and said 'I am NOT Happy!' So I said, 'Well, which one ARE you then?'

View more questions Search