Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    josh1278 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Theft Under 5000: 19 Years
    2 days ago I was caught shoplifting at a 24 hour grocery store with some friends. The police charged me with Theft under 5000 and possession under 5000. This is my first offence. I am scheduled to appear in court in April. Is there any way this incident can stay off my record? I've heard of an alternative measures program... but I am not sure how to apply to it. I am a university male student from Ontario, Canada. Any suggestions would be great. I am really nervous about could happen to me. Thanks.
    zhhhane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 04:22 PM
    Yo man. I am a University student here in BC. I have also worked as a Probation Officer, a Correctional Officer and as a Parole Officer. I would venture to say that you talk with your lawyer and ask them to help get you into the alternative measures program in your community. There are also options that include apologies to the store owner as well as restitution but both of these come with a criminal record now that you over the age of 19. When your sentence is finished you can then after a legislated period apply for a pardon. Good Luck.

Feb 22, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Thanks a lot for the help. I've scheduled an appointment with a lawyer... and I'm currently writing an apology to the store owner. I'm going to let him look it over before I send it. I really hope this alternative measures program works out. Thanks again.

Feb 23, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Sorry to bother you guys again. I explained my situation with a friend who is a lawyer and he told me that I do not need a lawyer and my best bet was to go early to the courthouse (on the date I am told too) and request the adult diversion program. If I don't get in, then plead "not guilty" and ask for more time to get a lawyer. Does this seem like a good idea? I'm trying my best not to get a criminal record and volunteer service is my best option... so I'm not sure if this is the best way to go about things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under 5000 [ 5 Answers ]

Ok me and 2 other guys got caught for theft under 5000, the total cost of the items was4300 or something... Im the only one over 18, others are 16 my share of the thngs was approx 1200... I was just wondering what kind of punishment am I looking at? This is my first offence, I haven't so much as...

Theft Under 5000 [ 19 Answers ]

I am 21 yo and living in Ontario Canada. I have recently been arrested for theft. Here's what I did. I used to work at a pay day advance place, where they load up cards for the amount of money they are lending to you. I took a card for myself and loaded it from home($2000). Then...

Theft under $5000 from 5 years ago [ 8 Answers ]

On one particular day in February 2002, I had went to Zellers and stupidly attempted to steal a cheap $20 camera. I subsequently got caught by security, the police was called and I was issued a bunch of papers. Note: I was only a kid then, and the Young Offenders Act was still in place. I...

Theft under 5000 [ 21 Answers ]

Sorry this may be really long. Please help and reply. Okay this is my first post because I am really worrying about this thing. I stole a Playstation Portable from a student at my school. I sold it to another student at my school. It doesn't really matter now but the Principals found out. In...

Theft under 5000 [ 2 Answers ]

Please help about 2 months ago me and two friends stole 2 tires from a car dealer we see now how stupid it was the cops keep phoning me wanting me to come in and talk to them I already went once and they said I was being investigated for theft under 5000. I'm 17 my friends are 17 and ones 18. Do...

View more questions Search