Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bdaino Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Apr 22, 2012, 06:03 PM
    Should I pursue a relationship?
    God, I hate it when people ask others they have never even met online questions like this, but I just can't help but seek others' opinions on this. Basically, I'm still crushed from the death of a girlfriend about four years ago... but I've realized that loneliness is what has stopped me from healing this far.
    Here's where htings get tricky. I plan on joining the U.S.M.C. next year if things don't work out with my current career, which means if I pursued a relationship despite my emotional B.S. I don't know how long it would last. I have serious trust issues... I don't know if I could leave a girlfriend behind or not. Any advice or speculation would be greatly appreciated.
    Love takes time.
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Apr 23, 2012, 06:01 AM
    Don't get down on yourself for asking strangers for advice. That's how bartenders got the rep for being great folks to talk to. They're impartial, as we are, and there's no onus on you because we don't know you at all. Neat and clean! LOL

Your question is very interesting. First, my sympathy on the loss of your girlfriend. That was a very traumatic event, and you will grieve for however long it takes. There are no rules about that. Don't wallow--don't use it as an excuse for not moving forward--but allow yourself your sadness. Heck! I'm still sad at times about a lost love who died years ago myself! I can certainly relate. But it's important not to build a wall of sadness between you and your future just because it's easier than moving past the grief.

That said, and given that you also plan on joining the USMC, I'd warn against trying to start a serious relationship. Not only is it not fair to you and bound to bring up your trust issues if you have to be gone for periods, but it's not fair to the girl you might become involved with. But that doesn't rule out dating and fun times with female friends. It sounds as if you need to broaden your social circle to include some women who are just nice to be around and who might go to events with you without expecting more than that.

You might consider taking some sort of class or joining a group or club that isn't strictly male-oriented. The gym is a fine place to start. So is adult night school. Classes on things like investing, photography, bird-watching, genealogy... those are the sorts of things that attract both sexes. Pick an interest (let's at least make it something that will be fun for you, too) and see what you can find at your local high school or college.

My heart goes out to you. I hope you find a way to move ahead and quench the loneliness.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To pursue or not to pursue? [ 6 Answers ]

There is a guy that I can't stop thinking about. We have become friends through one of my best friends, however, the catch to the story is that she has been in an on-again and off-again relationship with him for two years and it ended only about 5 months ago. She is still quite protective of him,...

How do you know what to pursue? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm the drummer in a band that's had some success in Michigan, and I have high hopes for this one that I recently joined. I feel somewhat drawn to film however, and sometimes feel I should be pursuing that instead of music. I wanted some people's takes: is it plausible for a successful musician...

What is the right course for me to pursue? [ 1 Answers ]

Helo. At the outset I would like to thank this website for presenting me with the opportunity to ask the experts questions which I don't frankly know whom to ask. I am a Lawyer with around 3 years experience in working in leading Law firms. I am interested in pursuing further studies but am not...

Can cops pursue? [ 7 Answers ]

Are cops allowed to pursue motorcycles in the state of virginia?

Should I pursue this guy? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, I gave a SHY male co-worker my email and phone number on Halloween 2006 because I wouldn't see him again until March 2007. Well,This guy never called me because of his shyness(I have a spy co-worker who told me what happen). March 2007 is here and I'm going to see him again in 2 weeks.Should...

View more questions Search