Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kirbee651 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2012, 07:11 PM
    My dogs are extremely aggressive towards other dogs, kicked out of 2 classes
    We have to dogs both the same age (1year old) and they are scary aggressive if they see another dog on a walk and they've gone ape in two different training classes and been kicked out. How do we fix this? I don't want to put them down
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2012, 07:42 PM
    What types of dogs are these? Are they purebreds or mixed breeds?

Almost 9 times out of 10, leash aggression comes from what the owner is or isn't doing. What are you doing when these dogs act the way they do? Where are you when the react this way? Do they act like this when they are together only? Or are they both equally as aggressive when alone and act this way?

The first thing I would do is separate them completely. They can have their hang out time together, but training, walks, etc they are to be separate. What that does is break the pack formation they have created. Dogs will feed off each others energy, and right now you have a lot of negative energy spinning out of control.

When signing up for obedience classes, sign up for separate days and times. Work with the dogs separately. Take them places separately. Everything must be separate.

Once you have control of each individual dog, then introduce them together on walks and what not. Right now I invision you being dragged across the street by your two dogs while screaming commands. That's not a good situation.

A good tool to use on both dogs would be the gentle leader. It controls their head, and it controls their mouth. They cannot pull you. Anytime they pull, their head will be swung around making them turn towards you. There isn't much correction you have to do besides hold the leash. The gentle leader is also handy for a quick muzzle when you're in a situation you're unsure about. I use it on my pittie all the time who is very dog aggressive, but very social. It is a wonderful, safe tool to keep my dog safe.

Separation, separation, separation! That's all that you can do to help your dogs and yourself. But keep in mind, this isn't going to fix anything over night. It may take a few months or even a year or two before your dogs will understand that you are the leader, not them. Is this a power struggle between owner and dogs? No, I don't think so. You're dogs are the same age and that is a very difficult task to handle. This situation you are in is not rare or unheard of with owners who own siblings or dogs of the same age. The only thing that will fix this problem is to do things with your dogs individually, not together.
    roxxyella Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2012, 08:52 PM
    Well I have a dog like that too I find the essay way is to make them keep there attion on you use a few dog treats or meat what ever they like and show them when walking passed the other dog let them know your incharge, you can buy and hulti witch goes around there face like so they can still open there mouth it'll stop them from pulling and misbehaving I find this works with my 2 year old sheperd, when buying the hulti buy one were the lead clips on at the frount not at the back because remember let them know your in controle if you get the one that clip on to the back of the hulti it won't work as well the one that clips on the frount is better because it controle the head give it a slight pull when he/she is missbehaving and it should pull the head back ontrack, they won't like it the first time around when you put it on thee face so just use it around the house with treats as rewards

Apr 22, 2012, 10:08 AM
    They are both male pit mixes we rescued and from the same litter. They are basically fine on walks alone but if you walk them together they feed off each other and lunge at everything. I can't walk them because Oliver thinks he has to protect me from everything and that makes tank act all funny.

We can't let them outside alone because they don't like the neighbor dog at all. Oliver has gotten out of his collar and harness and almost jumped the big wood fence to get the neighbor dog. The only reason I actually stopped him is because I grabbed his tail before he got all the way over. My parents are usually the ones to walk them and do training because they listen better with them.

They are AMAZING dogs as long as other dogs aren't around ( especially big white fluffy ones)

We've tried the gentle leader but tank lives up to his name and just tanks through it like nothings on it if a dog is close. We've also tied shock collars :'( harnesses and chokers with prongs. The only things that seems to work a little is the chokers with prongs if strange dogs are around.

We got tank fist and when he was a puppy we used to take him to puppy play and he would be fine with most of the dogs especially this very small black terrier mix. He didn't like the big white fluffy dog and I think that's where the fear started because the lady at the puppy play saw that he'd nip if the white dog came by him and made him wear a muzzle so he couldn't do anything about the other dog being to close.

I think when we finally got his litter mate Oliver, tank was already terrified of dogs and he kind of made oliver scared of them too by freaking out.

Apr 22, 2012, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    What types of dogs are these? Are they purebreds or mixed breeds?

Almost 9 times out of 10, leash aggression comes from what the owner is or isnt doing. What are you doing when these dogs act the way they do? Where are you when the react this way? Do they act like this when they are together only? Or are they both equally as aggressive when alone and act this way?

The first thing I would do is separate them completely. They can have their hang out time together, but training, walks, etc they are to be separate. What that does is break the pack formation they have created. Dogs will feed off of each others energy, and right now you have a lot of negative energy spinning out of control.

When signing up for obedience classes, sign up for separate days and times. Work with the dogs separately. Take them places separately. Everything must be separate.

Once you have control of each individual dog, then introduce them together on walks and what not. Right now I invision you being dragged accross the street by your two dogs while screaming commands. Thats not a good situation.

A good tool to use on both dogs would be the gentle leader. It controls their head, and it controls their mouth. They cannot pull you. Anytime they pull, their head will be swung around making them turn towards you. There isnt much correction you have to do besides hold the leash. The gentle leader is also handy for a quick muzzle when you're in a situation you're unsure about. I use it on my pittie all the time who is very dog aggressive, but very social. It is a wonderful, safe tool to keep my dog safe.

Separation, separation, separation! Thats all that you can do to help your dogs and yourself. But keep in mind, this isnt going to fix anything over night. It may take a few months or even a year or two before your dogs will understand that you are the leader, not them. Is this a power struggle between owner and dogs? No, I dont think so. You're dogs are the same age and that is a very difficult task to handle. This situation you are in is not rare or unheard of with owners who own siblings or dogs of the same age. The only thing that will fix this problem is to do things with your dogs individually, not together.

They are both male pit mixes we rescued and from the same litter. They are basically fine on walks alone but if you walk them together they feed off each other and lunge at everything. I can't walk them because Oliver thinks he has to protect me from everything and that makes tank act all funny.

We can't let them outside alone because they don't like the neighbor dog at all. Oliver has gotten out of his collar and harness and almost jumped the big wood fence to get the neighbor dog. The only reason I actually stopped him is because I grabbed his tail before he got all the way over. My parents are usually the ones to walk them and do training because they listen better with them.

They are AMAZING dogs as long as other dogs aren't around ( especially big white fluffy ones)

We've tried the gentle leader but tank lives up to his name and just tanks through it like nothings on it if a dog is close. We've also tied shock collars :'( harnesses and chokers with prongs. The only things that seems to work a little is the chokers with prongs if strange dogs are around.

We got tank fist and when he was a puppy we used to take him to puppy play and he would be fine with most of the dogs especially this very small black terrier mix. He didn't like the big white fluffy dog and I think that's where the fear started because the lady at the puppy play saw that he'd nip if the white dog came by him and made him wear a muzzle so he couldn't do anything about the other dog being to close.

I think when we finally got his litter mate Oliver, tank was already terrified of dogs and he kind of made oliver scared of them too by freaking out.
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2012, 04:10 PM
    Are they neutered? If not, they should be. In tact males are not pets. Unless they are being worked until they can no longer stand, they are not pets. Neuter them and their attitudes may calm down a bit.

I hate to say it, but that's the nature of the beast. These dogs were bred to be dog aggressive. Some pitties are friendly, some aren't.

My gut feeling is that you are very young and these dogs are taking advantage of this. Using pinch collors, shock collars and choke chains are only as effective as the owner is using them. You can put a pinch collar on any dog and the problems still won't be solved.

Your dogs need some serious obedience. They are out of control and are apparently very dangerous. Get them neutered if they aren't already and start training obedience. Pitties when bored are very naughty. Exercise their brain and their bodies. Don't expect this breed to be friendly with dogs. If they aren't friendly, then they aren't friendly. Time to find a new outlet for them to expel their energy.

Apr 22, 2012, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Are they neutered? If not, they should be. In tact males are not pets. Unless they are being worked until they can no longer stand, they are not pets. Neuter them and their attitudes may calm down a bit.

I hate to say it, but that's the nature of the beast. These dogs were bred to be dog aggressive. Some pitties are friendly, some arent.

My gut feeling is that you are very young and these dogs are taking advantage of this. Using pinch collors, shock collars and choke chains are only as effective as the owner is using them. You can put a pinch collar on any dog and the problems still wont be solved.

Your dogs need some serious obedience. They are out of control and are apparently very dangerous. Get them neutered if they arent already and start training obedience. Pitties when bored are very naughty. Exercise their brain and their bodies. Dont expect this breed to be friendly with dogs. If they arent friendly, then they aren't friendly. Time to find a new outlet for them to expell their energy.
    Both of them neutered it was part of the deal when we got them from the shelter. As soon as they were 8 months (I think) they were to be neutered at a vet that works with the shelter or we wouldn't be able to keep them. They do it for all the dogs they adopt out.

Haha I'm 19, I just don't have a voice that's convincingly threatening or angry. When I yell or say no it comes out more as a question. That's why my parents and brother are usually the ones to walk them. I mean I can, but it hurts my voice to say things in a tone that doesn't sound playful and happy.

We've tried obedience for regular dogs but when we found out they were both very aggressive we started looking for someone who specialized with aggressive dogs. Lets just say she was a fool. She brought them into a ring with other non aggressive big fluffy white dogs, told my parents to take the muzzles and leashes off and let them go knowing full well they didn't like other dogs. Especially big white ones. And kicked us out after they bit at a dog. Its like "umm hello you fool. you knew before hand they didnt do well with other dogs so clearly they only option was to stick them in a area with the type of dog they dont like the most and act all puzzled when something bad happens." so now were looking for a new place and we're going to do classes apart.

We can't really exercise them all that much right now because they don't like the neighbor dog and that dog is never in the house. So they get to go on walks and I have them run in the basement but we can't really have them running in the back yard because the neighbor dog will run up to the fence bark and run back and forth like a mad man. I hope as soon as we get them to realize other dogs are going to harm them we can bring them to dog parks again and let them run in the back yard without worrying if ones going to jump the fence.

They really aren't bad dogs just very energetic and don't know how to relax.
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2012, 07:03 PM
    I think it is a bad idea for you to continue to think that your dogs are going to be friendly with other dogs.

You need to research your breed. Even though they are a pittie mix, doesn't mean that the "pit" in them won't come out. Sometimes, the mixed breeds are the more dangerous.

Your dogs lunge with intention at other dogs. They fence fight with the neighbor dog (even though it's the neighbor dog that start it) and now your dogs cannot go out in their own backyard because of their aggression. Personally, if this were my problem, I'd build a privacey fence between the neighbors and line it with electric fence. My dogs would be safe and My dogs wouldn't be causing problems.

If a trainer were to tell me to let my dog aggressive dog off leash with another dog in front of it, I would have left. Not every trainer is a trainer. You have to hunt around and research. Are you going to spend days searching for a trainer and it not work out? Of course.. but you need to keep searching.

Your dogs may never be able to be around other dogs while off leash. You need to accept that and understand that. You need to start finding other things for them to do besides a dog park. You are going to get your dogs killed by continuing to think that this is all just a mis-understanding. Your dogs turned a year old... They know they are big and they are testing the waters. They have attacked, and it was fun to them.. they will continue.

I love pitties... I own one myself. We will never be able to go to a dog park... We will never be able to do activities where other dogs are invovled... However; I can take her to parades, petsmart/petco and so on. She is very well behaved and socialized.

Keep in mind, a socialized dog is not a dog that is friendly with other dogs.. A socialized dog is a dog that is behaved in all situations... involving other dogs or not. Your dogs are not at that point. They are out of control and undersocialized. You need to start from ground zero knowing that you have aggressive dogs. Once you can accept that, then these problems will soon disappear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Opinions on aggressive dogs at the dog park [ 13 Answers ]

Since spring has sprung more and more people have decided to bring there dogs to the dog park. Some of these dogs are very aggressive. I know Duke is aggressive, but I know which dogs he picks on (and the owners of these dogs to do, and still encourage me to bring him and "get him used to there...

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

What can be done with a dog that is extremely animal aggressive? [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a pit bull (rescue dog) that was used at one time for fighting. He (the dog) is extremely animal aggressive and my dog cannot be around him. As soon as the dog sees another animal (any animal, even horses!) he goes into what I call "kill mode." He loves people though and is super...

My dog is being aggressive with our otherr dogs [ 2 Answers ]

I have a female dog and she is being aggressive with our other dogs she is making holes and lying in them and she won't come to me when I call her.do you know what may be wrong with her?

View more questions Search